Sign in to follow this  

win 32 api, editbox

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hay im trying to make a window with an edit box, so far so good, i can use the edit box and all,... but it looks like shit =/, using like SYSTEM font or something realy oldlooking, how do i get a editbox to look like the one u get with the dialog editor in vc++? Here is what i have so far, but it dosnt realy look apealing, if noone can help me soon ill give up on makeing a real window, and make a cute dialog box as i used to do :P, i wanna be able to like change the font and give it a real boarder, is that to much of ask of win32 api? T_T // Create the input fields hChildWnd = CreateWindow ("EDIT", NULL, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | ES_AUTOHSCROLL | WS_BORDER, 740, 60, 255, 20, hWnd, (HMENU) IDC_EDT_TITLE, (HINSTANCE)GetWindowLong(hWnd, GWL_HINSTANCE), NULL);

Ah, thx a lot! =)
Now there is but one(two..) thing(s) left, how do i get the standard sunken down border? =/ all i get is a java like single pixel width black line border =),

And how do i make GROUPBOXes with createwindow =)

For the standard (as of Win95) sunken border you need to call CreateWindowEx and use WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE.

Groupboxes are weird as it sounds BUTTONs.
Use CreateWindow with "BUTTON" as class and the BS_GROUPBOX style.

Thx alot ;)... Uhmm.. now the last problem,
I need tabstops, im currently reading on msdn about it, but i aint sure if it will help me figure it out :O so anyone got skillz with tabstops? i figured id be using WS_TABSTOP atleast ;)

Yep, WS_TABSTOP on the controls you want to reach via the TAB key.
AND also, in your message pump, have a call to IsDialogMessage:

if ( GetMessage( &msg, NULL, 0, 0 ) )
{
if ( !IsDialogMessage( hwndDlg, &msg ) )
{
TranslateMessage( &msg );
DispatchMessage( &msg );
}
}

The function IsDialogMessage checks if the message is a key press which might change the focus (TAB key) and others (cursor keys to move to another control). If it finds a suitable message it will call TranslateMessage/DispatchMessage internally.

Thx that did the trick!
and WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE didnt kind of work =/ it just removed the border =/, and using both that and WS_BORDER didnt work :O, is there anything else i need together with it for it to work? =P

Did you use CreateWindowEx?

Should look like this:

hChildWnd = CreateWindowEx( WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, "EDIT",
NULL,
WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | ES_AUTOHSCROLL | WS_BORDER,
740, 60,
255, 20,
hWnd,
(HMENU) IDC_EDT_TITLE,
(HINSTANCE)GetWindowLong(hWnd, GWL_HINSTANCE),
NULL);

Don't mix the extended styles with the "normal" styles.

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.