Can people show me their (it programming) resumes to help me?

Started by
8 comments, last by rick_appleton 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I was wondering if people who are programmers or work within the I.T. industry could post their resumes so I could get a good idea on how to write mine. As of last year I finished my college course and I am currently employed casually for making webpage forms. As this job will start to finish up sometime soon, I need to start applying for programming style jobs. eg making systems, db's, webpages whatever it development really. I just need a good idea on how to layout my information such as references, skills, work history etc, so i thought looking at other peoples would be a good idea. Thanks alot.
Advertisement
I'm currently unemployed at the momment so by no means is this a good resume:

OBJECTIVE	To contribute my computer programming expertise and excellent customer service skills in a fast-paced, summer position as an administrative assistant.HIGHLIGHTS	Over two years of practical experience as a programmer 	Microsoft MOUS certified (Microsoft Word and Excel)	Excellent keyboarding skills (60 WPM)	Creative, detail-oriented, enthusiastic worker with excellent problem solving skills 	Proficient with XHTML, CSS, PHP, ASP.NET, SQL, Javascript, C++, VB.NET, C#, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Microsoft Frontpage, Adobe Photoshop, etc.EXPERIENCE		2004	@bsolute	Toronto, ONLocation Support Staff	Provided warehouse maintenance for various companies and films	Maintained a detailed count of inventory available to send to company listings	2004	24-7 INtouch	Toronto, ONCall Center Agent	Provided friendly service information by phone	Entered detailed account information into company database	2002-2003	OverTech Technologies	Toronto, ONProgrammer	Worked in small online teams to develop software for clients under strict deadlines	Successfully introduced a team based work environment	Summer 2002	Easter Seals Camp Merrywood	Smiths Falls, ONCamp Counsellor	Led a group of ten physically and mentally challenged children for three ten day sessions.	Took care of the kids while assisting them in their activities (sailing, painting, swimming)EDUCATION	2004	George Brown College	Toronto, ONComputer Programmer/Analyst Diploma Candidate – 2007 Graduation	2002	SATEC @ W.A. Porter	Scarborough, ONOntario Secondary SchoolREFERENCES	Available upon request.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Hey Rob, just 2 comments/questions:

1) What is 'practical' experience as a programmer? Does that mean professional experience? Or just programming at home as a hobby type of thing?

2) I wouldn't put "etc." on your resume anywhere!
hmm i reakon practical means just used in a 'real' project.

Anyway thanks rob
Here's mine; I did get hired with this resume, but that company was the only one that had expressed interest in doing an interview, so evidently most others weren't as impressed.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
I got hired with this, although two other companies weren't interested.
ah so it was you rick, who made galactic domination. I'm making my own more ai based, space game.

So what kind of jobs did you guys get? As it looks like a more game compy orientated resumes.

thx
Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
I'm currently unemployed at the momment so by no means is this a good resume:

"...Microsoft Frontpage, Adobe Photoshop, etc."

Who writes "etc." in their resume and expects to be hired by anybody? Honestly, my god. Do you think any employer looks at that and says to himself, "Hrm, well, he knows something else, but cannot reveal what" favorably? Hah!
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
Quote:Original post by johnnyBravo
ah so it was you rick, who made galactic domination. I'm making my own more ai based, space game.

I think you got mixed up; it was me who wrote it.
Quote:So what kind of jobs did you guys get? As it looks like a more game compy orientated resumes.

I got hired as a software engineer with a military contractor that writes/maintains a logistics/training simulation for the Army among some other clients. But they liked my game-development experience as they figured it was relevant to the job.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
My resume was indeed oriented towards game companies (although it probably wouldn't have looked extremely different if it was a more 'serious' company).

The company I'll be working for makes games for the mobile consoles.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement