Sign in to follow this  

[java] Drawing single pixels on the screen

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you draw single pixels using Graphics2D? I am doing double buffering, and BufferStrategy only gives me access to a reference to a Graphics object (getDrawGraphics()). I think you can draw pixels on an image, but that's not what I want to do. I know that I could draw all the things I need on an image and then copy the whole image (instead of page-flipping), but wouldn't that be slow? Right now I am fine by using drawRect(x,y,1,1). I have no idea how fast/slow this method is.

I'm not sure how to draw a single pixel to the screen besides using the geom class, but it seems that using a straight line to draw it would be quicker to process than using a rectangle because it seems like it would take more to calculate the four sides than just a single line. Even though you are using it for one pixel the method may still be calculating more than it needs to be. If this is the case Line2D.Float lineA = new Line2D.Float(x1,y1,x2,y2); should be quicker. This however may not be true and maybe someone else knows to just draw a single pixel.

-Jake

[Edited by - jake2431 on May 17, 2005 4:25:10 PM]

You could use a BufferedImage, call the setRBG() method, and draw the image to the screen. This is a nice, simple way to change a single pixel in an image if one does not plan on changing pixels that often.

If you need to do a lot of pixel changing, use a BufferedImage and call the getRaster() method to receive a WritableRaster object that can be used to change the original image. WritableRaster has some handy methods over just a simple "setPixel".

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.