Sign in to follow this  

Procedural generated graphics

This topic is 4590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I’m curious if anyone has done any work with procedural generated graphics? Essentially I’m curious as to what sort of visuals can be created using algorithms to create models, colouring, lighting, animation, etc. As well as using algorithms and data to create the environments that the player interacts with.

Texturing and Modelling: A Procedural Approach sadly has little on geometry generation, though there's great coverage of procedural textures and the issues surrounding them (e.g. antialiasing).

Truth of the matter is: You can create anything procedurally. A project I worked on a while ago was a procedural character generator, which took a bunch of input values for height/weight/shoulder width/nose length/etc, and placed vertices accordingly by generating rings of vertices in particular ways and using a predefined topology to create triangles from them.

There are no 'algorithms and data to create the environments that the player interacts with' any more than there are 'environments that the player interacts with.' Sure, there are some functions you'll find crop up repeatedly - like noise and smoothstep - but there's no generalised approach. That's why procedural content is so difficult to handle; it requires a programmer to do an artist's job.

There's a *lot* of things that you can do with procedural methods.

1. Terrain - there's a lot of information on the web, Musgrave's disseration seems interesting too.
2. Texturing - perlin noise, other noise functions, etc
3. Plant modeling - a very interesting resource is L-Systems and beyond. It uses L-systems for modelling and seems to give really nice results. Some application of these can be seen in software like X-Frog.
4. City and building modeling: an interesting paper using l-systems there's a lot more on the web
5. Cloud/fog simulation - I think it was Musgrave the proposed a system with ellipsoids and 3d noise. Also here's a link to some detail on fog using perlin noise just to see how well it works. You can simulate cloud formation and extinction using procedural methods like Dobashi's cellular automaton method.

There's probably many more topics, i haven't looked into modeling
I'm quite interested in procedural modeling mostly because i suck as an artist so when I need content i'm in big trouble :)

Quote:
Original post by superpig
... That's why procedural content is so difficult to handle; it requires a programmer to do an artist's job.

Very true! Getting procedural stuff look right takes almost more time than an artist would need to model the same thing.

Quote:
Original post by superpig

There are no 'algorithms and data to create the environments that the player interacts with' any more than there are 'environments that the player interacts with.'

I'm not saying that there is general purpose algorthim out there to do all that. But I had assumed that some people might have done some work in creating environments procedurally rather then having them premade. After all there could be all sort of game idea out there that would be more interesting with precedural graphics then premade ones. Consider this idea what if you where playing a game inside your own computer? Where the game world was generated based on the computers directory and file structure?

I'm not looking for a specific algorthim to do this I more interested in what people have done proceduarlly and the methodology they used to create that effect.

I'll to look into the topics Ilici mentioned when I have some free time.

This topic is 4590 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.