accuracy error :s

Started by
10 comments, last by Fred304 18 years, 11 months ago
ok when I divide 378 by 100 I get 7799999999999998 not 3.78 when I add 0.01 to 3.77 I get 7799999999999998 again. I need to get it as 3.78. my code is as simple as int a = 378; int b = pow(10.0f,2.0f); float c = a / b; this return c as 7799999999999998 or float a = 3.77; float b = 0.01; float c = a + b; this also returns 7799999999999998 any Idea as of what I can do. I'm using c++ with vs.net 2003
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by crazy_andy

float a = 3.77;
float b = 0.01;
float c = a + b;

this also returns 7799999999999998

How are you getting your return values- eg: how are you printing them out?
-Scoot
It's sort of impossible to do what you want. You should go read up on floating point numbers, they rarely work out to be perfectly rounded. Whenever you're working with floats you want to use comparative operators not equality operators. Here is some information. Use google if that is insufficient.
are you sure you're printing the right variable? I get the correct result, I don't see how it would give you that result due to precision.
I got the same kind of errors when I was using printf() wrong. How was I supposed to know that ints and int64 had different letters? ;)

Good luck.
----------------------------------------------------------No matter how eloquently you state your argument, the fact remains that the toilet seat is a bistable device. Therefore it's natural position is no more down than it is up.[SDL Smooth Tile Scrolling]
ok,thanks for your rapid replies.

scoota: I was viewing them while debugging
bincho: I want to display the inforrmation to the user, rather than compare it. (intresting read as well)
nhatkthanh: after a bit more messing, I displayed the result in a msg box and it comes out as 3.78000

so thats pretty good, except I need it to be just 3.78, anyone know how to do that?

thanks again
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
Quote:Original post by nhatkthanh
are you sure you're printing the right variable? I get the correct result, I don't see how it would give you that result due to precision.

I'm assuming that he's dropping the '3.' from what he "needs to get." Not sure which way is up, though.
float b = 0.01;

It is impossible to store 1/100 in a float or double variable. Use decimal fixed point arithmetic instead.

For example, if you want to be able to store something like 1.46 dollars, simply store 146 cents. Got it?
I want to display the inforrmation to the user [...]

so thats pretty good, except I need it to be just 3.78, anyone know how to do that?

Storing data and displaying data is two pairs of shoes. Just store 378 and display 3.78 like this:
int value = 378;printf("%i.%02i", value/100, value%100);

Quote:Original post by Fred304
I want to display the inforrmation to the user [...]

Storing data and displaying data is two pairs of shoes. Just store 378 and display 3.78 like this:
int value = 378;printf("%i.%02i", value/100, value%100);

...or simply:

float value=3.78;printf("%0.2f", value);
-Scoot

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement