Sign in to follow this  

QueryPerformanceFailure()

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I tried to switch over to the QueryPerformance set of functions from timeGetTime() and it won't work. I've narrowed the problem down to dividing RenderTime by timer_freq. (Please excuse the inconsistent variable notation.) //global variables __int64 timer_freq = 0, RenderTime = 0, current_time = 0, start_time = 0; //at the beginning of the program if (!QueryPerformanceFrequency((LARGE_INTEGER*)&timer_freq)) MessageBox(0,"This sucks.",0,0); //at the beginning of Render() QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER*) ¤t_time); start_time = current_time; //at the end of Render() QueryPerformanceCounter((LARGE_INTEGER*) ¤t_time); RenderTime = current_time - start_time; RenderTime = RenderTime/timer_freq; I believe the problem occurs at the last line where I divide RenderTime by timer_freq. If I live this out the program works but really fast. If I put it in the program doesn't work at all. RenderTime is used like this later though I don't think it matters: RotateYBy += RenderTime * (2.0f * D3DX_PI) / 2500.0f;

Unless your time between frames is 1 second or longer, RenderTime/timer_freq will be 0 because you are storing it in an integer. You should store the result of the division as a floating point.

Quote:
Original post by KrazeIke
Unless your time between frames is 1 second or longer, RenderTime/timer_freq will be 0 because you are storing it in an integer. You should store the result of the division as a floating point.

And make sure you cast at least either RenderTime or timer_freq before dividing to a double/float [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Providence
I thought timer_freq would be a smaller number than RenderTime, and that the result of this operation would be x number of milliseconds.

timer_freq is how many ticks in one second, so it should be larger than RenderTime.

PS

On some hardware (VIA chipsets, can't remember any other) the hardware may occasionally return a time stamp that is WAAAAAY off from the other stuff

like that.

Quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
timer_freq is how many ticks in one second, so it should be larger than RenderTime.

Thank you, that makes everything clear. This is what I get for assuming and not reading my docs carefully :(

This topic is 4598 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.