DirectX Error

Started by
3 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 11 months ago
Well, when executing an example from the DX SDK (v9.0c) I receive the following message. You know that? How to solve the problem? Thanx! -> Switching to the Direct3D reference rasterizer, a software device that implements the entire Direct3D feature set, but runs very slowly. Do you wish to continue. [YES] [NO]
Advertisement
It simply means that your graphics card isn't good enough to run the sample because it uses some particular Direct X technique/feature that is required to be supported by the graphics hardware.

The reference rasterizer is a fallback device runs independent of the graphics card (if I'm not wrong) that implements/supports ALL direct X features but it runs VERY slowly.

To solve the problem, install a better graphics card. :)
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd
I am using a brand new graphic card. Only 5 years old. :D

Which card do you recommend? I am student and stupidly limited in money. :(
Actually I wouldn't bother. No, really. Some of the samples are meant to show off some of the really high end features of DirectX and unless you are dying to see them in action (and have money to spare) you don't need to buy something to just run them. IAC, they aren't all used in games.

I myself have only an ATI Radeon 9600SE. It's hardly cutting edge now, but I can play Doom 3 and Half-life 2 with quite a bit of detail and I'm pretty happy with it. You should be able to easily afford it.
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd
Quote:Original post by superjens
I am using a brand new graphic card. Only 5 years old. :D

Which card do you recommend? I am student and stupidly limited in money. :(

What are you wanting to do with Direct3D?

Myself, I'm happy with SM2 generation hardware as I don't currently have a use for anything much better. Soon I'll be working on some HDRI research, so I'll be requiring some bigger-and-better hardware.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement