• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BobV

GUI / Menu system

This topic is 4961 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm in the market for a GUI api for use with SDL. I've been looking at ones like aedGUI, ParaGUI, PicoGUI, etc.. Is anyone using any of these systems or another system with SDL? I'm looking for something that is well documented and I can use to make a fairly decent menuing system. Preferably licensed with LGPL, BSD or similarly less restrictive then GPL. So if anyone has any insite into the world of SDL GUI, I'm all ears..err eyes.

Advertisement
There's also the option to make it yourself. I'm currently making my own (not with SDL since I don't use it, but I could just as easily have merged it with SDL), and it's actually quite fun/interesting, but of course that depends whether you want to spend time on it or not.

Quote:
Original post by nife
There's also the option to make it yourself. I'm currently making my own (not with SDL since I don't use it, but I could just as easily have merged it with SDL), and it's actually quite fun/interesting, but of course that depends whether you want to spend time on it or not.

Yea, that's the thing. If I spend time reinventing the GUI concept, that's less time I can spend implementing actual game code. I only need a gui for allowing the player to change settings, it's not an integral part of the game right now.

I've been looking at Guichan right now. Seems like a real nice system. I'll probably play with that tonight and see how it goes.

How complex a system are you looking for? YOu could have a simple menu and use switch statements. That wouldn't take too long to program yourself and then you would be able to say that you made it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!