• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
leonheart

C++ complex gaming

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im quite new to this and would like to no if i can make games like doom 3 or half life 2 by using C++ thanx in advance

Advertisement
yes you can. I'd set my sights on something a little lower in scale though if your just beginning... =)

Yes, it can be done and is in fact what has been done.
Now, can you do it? Not yet. Eventually? Maybe.

Forum FAQ

For a beginner, my recommendation is to learn how to use Python and PyGame. You probably won't make Doom3 with them, but it'll get you started.

Yes, by utilizing C++ as your language of choice, you are able to make complex games such as those, but C++ does not make the games itself, you will need a lot of other stuff before you can have a game. Take a look at this thread. Yes it talks about a game engine, but all of that applies to a game as well [wink].

Hey Leonhart,

Yes: theoretically its possible to make professional games with C++, but in the long run it takes a very long time and a great effort to even realize simple games if you are new.
You should first decide if C++ is the right language for the things you want to do (a few helpful aspects can also be found here). If you are sure C++ is for you, I recommend you to start with internet tutorials or books to get into the language; I cant help you here because I dont know good English programming books.

You would also need an OS-specific C++ compiler to start programming. Most people with windows use Microsoft Visual C++, but you can also use a non-commercial compiler.

If you already know a bit about programming, Nehe's Game Tutorials are a good place to start with C++ game programming.

rgds,
Phex.

EDIT: omg, am I slow...

Yay! It's nice to see more people using Ogre [grin] Make sure to check out the Ogre Forums as well as Wiki, they have a plenthora of information useful to making games with Ogre. While it takes quite a while to build, if you do get the source and build it yourself, take a look at all the demos they provide, they show how to do a lot of useful techniques. In addition you might want to get OgreODE for your physics needs. It comes with a few demos that are simply amazing. Note that you will have to rebuild the engine and make modifications to be able to use that OgreODE though. DevPak here. For reference, doing a full rebuild of the Ogre engine and demos (41 projs per config, 2 configs total) takes about about 45 minutes on my P4 3.2ghz 1gb ram. Make sure you have about 5gb free space when you compile, if you choose to.

That is if you do decide to use Ogre, it's quite huge and takes a bit to get fully operational, but it is well worth it!

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
doing a full rebuild of the Ogre engine and demos (41 projs per config, 2 configs total) takes about about 45 minutes on my P4 3.2ghz 1gb ram. Make sure you have about 5gb free space when you compile

Ouch! My machine's also a 3.2Ghz (but only 512Mb RAM). I was thinking about OGRE, but that seems a bit much? What about Irrlicht?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!