• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JinJo

Nintendo DS software dev:

This topic is 4813 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where I could get some tutorials or guides for developing games on the DS? I have seen that thier are was and there are emulators out but i was looking for the coding compiling side of things.

Advertisement
Unless you are already really experienced in making games, I do not suggest that you attempt to make DS games. Gameboy Advance games, mabey, but DS is a really complicated piece of hardware: 2D, 3D, Stylus, Dual Screens, Wifi...

But if you do have sufficient experience, emulators would be the way to go. You might be able to find a DS C/C++ compiler on the net somewhere, and with that you could compile your roms, and then play them in an emulator.

Later on you could buy (or make?) the necessary hardware to upload your roms to a blank cartidge. And you know what to do with the cartridge. :)

Thanks! (All Your Base lol)

I think I could get started with dev on the DS. I was thinking of finding a compiler (actually was hoping someone could link) but was wondering if someone could show me some links that have tuts on gaining access to the screens and memory etc.

the ds is actually quite similar to the advance, especially in the 2d-department.

http://www.aaronrogers.com/nintendods/ndsdevenv.php go here..

The topic is quite interesting.

I was thinking about whether companies that sign with Nintendo to develop games get some special tools to aid their process, or they are left on their own.

Also, is there any sense in focusing on developing on the DS on your own then trying to contact a publisher?

I am thinking that only big companies develop for consoles...

Its me again, i did some search on the net
http://www.warioworld.com/apply/ds.html - info about enthusiasts
quote for enthusiasts from the page:
Software Development Kits: Approximate development costs range from $10,000 to $20,000. Financial stability is expected approved developers in order to purchase the necessary development equipment for your project

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!