• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
geek89turbo

Processor Question

This topic is 4900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay not really sure where to post this, so here goes. I'm upgrading my moms computer it's got an Athlon 1000 processor. The motherboard in the machine has already been upgraded and supports Athlon XPs. Now I was talking to someone and they told me that the XPs are now called Semprons. He said that the Sempron would work fine. I just wanted a second opinion before I order the part. Is this information correct? Thanks!

Advertisement
If the mobo's firmware detects Semprons and you get a socket A model, it should work.
I'd rather buy an older Athlon XP, though.

I guess they did change the name to Sempron.

Newegg lists AMD Athlon XP processors under both names

Check with your motherboard manufacturer to make sure though.

The Socket A-based ones are basically renamed Athlon XP's (as far as I know).
The socket 754/939 Semprons are derived from Athlon 64.

But yeah, to make sure, check with the mobo manufacturer. It should work, however

I just recently purchased a Semptron 2500, works just like the Athlon XP , the only thing i had to do was update the BIOS ... it kept on showing me that i had an XP installed with the wrong speed ... my motherboard on that one is an ASUS A7N8X ... go to your manufacturers web site and check for BIOS updates for Semptron chips(if need be) ...

I did notice something while looking at the specs for the processors just now. The Semprons have less cache memory (about half as much) on them than the XPs do. I found one for a good price with 512K on it so that should do quite nicely, not to mention it's a 2600+... My mom should notice quite a difference with that and another 512 Megs of memory and a much larger and faster western digital HD. Not to mention some stuff I getting to cool the sweaty bastards down.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!