• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Direct X Question?

This topic is 4751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i want to begin game dev in C++, on a linux/windows platform if possible I know DirectX is standard with MSVC++ 6.0, but i use Dev-C++ alot more on winblows, and DirectX requires additional setup (i believe). So my question is, What kind of API's are capeable of working with 2d sidescrollers, and are their any that work with windows and linux. I know DirectDraw would allow me to make a 2d ss, but what other options are available.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by BinaryAtrocity
whats the difference in learning curve?

Take caution in asking comparison questions of Direct3D and OpenGL -- flamewars do be abound. ;)

If you're writing a 2D game anyways, D3D and OGL are rather overkill IMHO. A nice 2D library like SDL or Allegro would save you a lot of time, and are a lot easier to work with.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!