GPL Library...

Started by
9 comments, last by Raduprv 18 years, 11 months ago
I want to use a GPL Licensed library in my project. Do I have to release my project source, or just the library source? I don't want to sell the software, but it would be better to keep the source safe for at least a year.
Advertisement
Double check if the library is licensed under the GPL or the LGPL.

GPL - you must to provide your source code to the people to whom you distribute the application, at no additional charge.

LGPL - If you link statically to the library, then see above. If you link dynamically, you only need to provide the sources to the library - assuming you have modified it.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
The GPL FAQ is pretty good at providing information about what you can and cannot do with the GPL.

But to second Fruny, first double check to see whether the library is GPL or LGPL
hmm... what if techically I never distribute the application, but rather the results that the application produces?
The GPL does not force you to distribute your program.

However, if distributed, you must also provide the source.
What are your reasons for needing to keep your code secret? It may be that, if you think about it, you can realise there isn't a good reason to keep your code hidden.

I would certainly rather go that route than have to not use some useful library or go through data contortions.
Quote:Original post by Sagar_Indurkhya
hmm... what if techically I never distribute the application, but rather the results that the application produces?

Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on what the application actually does.
However, if it produces something like artwork (or maybe it's a level design tool, or whatever) the output is not necessarily subject to the GPL. Look at the GPL for artists from the blender site for a better explanation.
It is for a science experiment for the ISEF and Siemens Westinghouse. I was told by my mentor not to release code until november 2005, because in the past, ideas were stolen. I plan on giving out source, regardless of GPL, in november. But for the sake of integrity and security, I can't release it till then.

The program outputs the coordinates of a group of circles into a text file. I will then write a program in C# to animate the circles like a movie.
It is for a science experiment for the ISEF and Siemens Westinghouse. I was told by my mentor not to release code until november 2005, because in the past, ideas were stolen. I plan on giving out source, regardless of GPL, in november. But for the sake of integrity and security, I can't release it till then.

In that case, don't distibute your app at all. You will probabally need to make lots of movies/screenshots if you do want to show it off.

That's fine, as long as you don't give out your program to anyone, you can even demo the program live without having to release source.

As soon as you distribute it though, you must give out your source code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement