• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

bloodshed or microsoft visual

This topic is 4745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm semi new to programming and been using Bloodshed dev c++ as my compiler since I started. My friend who's in school for computer science, what I'll be going to school for when I graduate from where I am now (animation), tells me that microsoft visual studio.net or 6 is the only thing I should be learning in. I know it's a better compiler but bloodshed never gave me any problem thus far. And vs is also kinda expensive, least for me. I'd appreciate some advice from from anyone who's willing to give it. 1. which is better or at least do I really need to switch over to micro visual 2. what do most schools teach on (blood or visual) ty

Advertisement
Well, I wouldn't say that Micrsoft Visual Studio .NET isn't the way to go, but it can be expected that a lot of large institutions will be using it. It can't hurt to be exposed to both, especially if you plan on doing any sort of .NET programming. At our school they use .NET as well as a few other compilers (Eclipse). It also depends on what languages you want to use.

Also, I wouldn't say the MSVC++ 6 was a better compiler. Had lots of issues with templates and such. Dev-C++ uses the mingw compiler I think, which is really good. But I do suggest doing some work in MSVC++ just to be familiar with the IDE.

Dev-Cpp is not a compiler, it is an IDE (a text editor that lets you access a compiler, debugger and other things). It uses a Windows port of gcc - the linux compiler. While I don't think that anyone would disagree that MSVC is a better IDE than dev-cpp, microsoft's compiler is not any better than gcc.

If Dev-cpp works well for you, I would stick with that.

You can use any compiler with ANY IDE, why cant people get this?! I've used microsofts toolkit 2003 compiler(that doesn\t have its own IDE) with both msvc 6 and dev-cpp. When it comes down to it though I love the extensions that gcc provides. Btw 'gcc is the linux compiler' really isnt true gcc stands for the GNU Compiler Collection and is availible for most platforms.

You may want to play with both before deciding - search for the express edition of the Visual C++, it's probably time bombed but it should allow you to figure out if you want to use it or not.

Microsoft offers Express and Single editions of their compilers which are easier on the wallet than the entire VS suite. As well as a learning edition.

I have both Bloodshed and MSVC++ 6.0 and Visual Studio .net 2003 learning edition installed. Most tutorials and books use a Visual Studio friendly format, which makes learning a bit easier, since a person doesn't have to modify the program to get it to run with gcc.

I recommend against MSVS 6.0, since it's getting fairly old, the new edition of VS is due out this year, which makes 6.0 around two versions ago.

If you are using Dev and it works for you, I say use that. If you have to use .net or visual studio when you get to school, use it then. If you never compiled and executed from the command line, I might say to try that. As long as you're writing solid code it should work on mostly any compiler within exception.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!