• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
The Bizal

College Question

This topic is 4751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a senior in high school, just about to graduate and I am planning on going to a communtiy college for two years to get general ed out of the way, and start some classes in computer science. I was wondering if there is any particualr good universities in California to go to for game design or computer science classes after im done with communtiy college. I also was wondering if i should take any programming classes over the summer. I do not have any experince in programming.

Advertisement
Hey, I dont know about colleges over there but my advice is over the summer buy a good book, it doesnt have to be anything extreme just something simple, something like Starting Java / C++..

It all depends on how you learn more, whether you learn by reading or by practical teaching, its all individual...

Even if you just learn about how things are put together, and the basics of how programs work etc then its worth it to give you a headstart for next year.. take your time and learn the basics well as they are essential for when you progress onto writing full programs :)

Good Luck!!

I think that you should take up programming on your own and try it out so that you know whether or not it is the right career choice for you. If you aren't interested in programming enough to do it in your free time, it's pretty unlikely that you'll get very good at it, and you could end up regretting your career choice. I know someone who decided to major in computer science with no background in it and he's considering switching his major.

I learned a lot with Python, and for what it's worth, it's one of the starting places that I would recommend. It's easy to pick up, it has excellent documentation, it's quickly becoming a major language and a lot of what you learn will be transferrable to languages like C. If I were to start over again, though, I'd probably start with C, because you will be faced with some very important challenges that Python will take care of for you early on, chiefly things like data structures and memory management. You'd have to be pretty determined to start with C, but in my potentially worthless opinion, you'd be a better programmer because of it in the end.

However, I think the most important thing is not where you start but how interested you are. You certainly can't make an informed decision about that without having some experience, so why don't you try programming on your own time and see how you like it?

Quote:
Original post by silverphyre673
Berkeley, if you can get in :)

I hear Stanford isn't half bad either...
</sarcasm>

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!