SATA HDD problems

Started by
6 comments, last by Bakingsoda36 18 years, 11 months ago
I've been building a computer for a friend, but I've run into a problem with the SATA HDD. The Windows XP installation detects the hard drive and installs the installer files on to it. The problem though is it doesn't boot to the installer like it is supposed to, it says "DISK BOOT FAILURE. PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". This is the first time I've ever installed a SATA so I'm not sure what the problem is, any ideas? His HDD is a Seagate barracude 120 Gig and his motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-SLI.
Advertisement
In the system bios, did you set up the hdd as boot device ? Also did you disable boot sector virus protection during the installation ? You can also try to manually install a boot loader like grub on that drive.
During installation when it asks you to press F6 if you need a 3rd party controller, press F6 and insert a floppy with the correct SATA controller drivers on it (you can get them from the motherboard makers website). Leave the disk in until you are told to remove it. Also, how large is the drive? If it's greater then 127GB you might might need to take additional steps (since you also need to enable 48bit LBA addressing mode)
Yeah, I tried setting the Hard drive as the boot device, but I didn't try disabling boot sector virus protection, what would that do?
Quote:Original post by Michalson
Leave the disk in until you are told to remove it.

I had the same problem that you're describing because I didn't follow that step.

The Windows installer will load the SATA driver from the floppy disk, but it needs the disk again to copy the driver to the hard drive.
Quote:Original post by Bakingsoda36
Yeah, I tried setting the Hard drive as the boot device, but I didn't try disabling boot sector virus protection, what would that do?

It prevents writing the boot sector. Some bios versions will ask you what to do (annoying if you are in graphics mode), some may simply ignore it. The installer needs to write the boot sector to install its boot loader, so this option should be disabled.
Quote:Original post by Michalson
During installation when it asks you to press F6 if you need a 3rd party controller, press F6 and insert a floppy with the correct SATA controller drivers on it (you can get them from the motherboard makers website). Leave the disk in until you are told to remove it. Also, how large is the drive? If it's greater then 127GB you might might need to take additional steps (since you also need to enable 48bit LBA addressing mode)

I've tried doing that but for some reason Windows XP wouldn't read the floppy, it would keep saying "Please insert the system manufacturer disk into drive A." I'm pretty sure I had the right driver on the floppy too. It's only a 120 gig. I'm going to go over and try to fix it later today, so I'll try doing the driver thing again, but is there anything else I should try if that doesn't work?
Any more ideas anyone on why it won't install the driver?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement