• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Slug

What the heck with the search engine of gamedev for the forum?

This topic is 5162 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Searching is the third most important feature for forums, behind posting and reading posts.

Advertisement
Just use the google box. They should put a tutorial there telling people how to use it effectively. Besides, google search is better, faster and they win money when you click on the ads.

The search never worked for me.
Even at the times it was supposed to work, it didn't really return useful results (even thoug the posts containing the terms were in the database).

I think everyone needs to relax a bit. The search feature release date will coincide with that of Duke Nukem Forever.

Its being developed under the same guiding principle as DNF: It'll be done when it is finished. Which could be anytime from soon to whenever.

Cheers !

Quote:
Original post by xllx_relient_xllx
What pisses me off about this is that; they can't fix this problem, yet, they keep adding *New* features like that GD Member/Gathering thing.... ARGHH!!

Maybe it's just me that feels this way but, really, they've been saying they were going to fix the search months ago and yet, it has'nt happend. Still, GameDev.net is a REALLY good place to be and I thank the mods/owners for making it one of the best Game developers sites on the net.
In case you didn't know, getting search right is EXTREMELY difficult compared to things like the new features they're adding. Searching is probably the most difficult part of making a forum. I don't know of any free or reasonably priced forums that have gotten it correct.

Yes, but on a game development site (a site involving programming), development of a search engine that works properly would be at least close to the top of the list, so I understand the requests. Actually, I'm not complaining about the use of the google, I'm just mentioning.

I use the google route for now though and it serves me well. In a way I see no need for anything else, but understand the request(s).

I only used the search for recreational means. It's fun to click the help wanted forum and search for "NEW MMORPG PORGECT NEED PROGRMERS!!!1" and read the responses.

What could be so hard into searching word that you asked for... really...

Well, I'll draw your attention to the number of posts in each respective forum, and I'll let you imagine how many words are in each. Now imagine looking through them all for your perticular word. Doing a search is easy. Having it complete within an acceptable amount of time on limited hardware, when you may have people doing many concurrent searches, as well as using many other features of the site, searching suddenly becomes quite difficult.

That said, it has been down for an awful long time, I was under the impression that the staff had purcahsed some kind of commercial package to help them with this issue, and with the GDNet+ subscriptions, I would've thought they'd be able to purcahse additional hardware if it was required. I am quite surprised the search has been down for this long.

Quote:
Original post by Slug
What could be so hard into searching word that you asked for... really...
Nothing is hard about searching for a word. The hard part is doing it within acceptable limits. Consider that these forums contain GB of text in a database. That means you can't just do a simple search like you would in a file, you have to keep asking the DB server for the next post quite a few times. Since there are a LOT of posts, it can't store them all in memory, so you're going to be paging to and from the hard drive. Then there is the actual search once you get the current post into memory, which will be slow you pretty much have to do a linear search at least once for an index. Then there is the fact that since you're searching each post a single time, the processor cache will get trashed constantly so you're slowing down everything else on the server also. Then there is the fact that ever member of GDNet can be searching at the same time and the main forum can't become unresponsive, so you'll have to have a seperate server just for searching, and you'll probably want it to have a copy of the database so you'll need a second license of the server to run on the search machine, and ...

Summary: Lots of stuff. You don't think google is worth so much because they did something really really easy, do you?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!