[web] Post YOUR website on MINE

Started by
31 comments, last by SticksandStones 18 years, 10 months ago
Have a website? Personal or of a project you're working on or whatever. Post it on my website. This site was made 100% by me. I coded everything. No copy and pasting from other sites. I would love any feedback. What you like about the site, what you don't. What could be added or changed. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. [Edited by - deadlydog on May 20, 2005 11:22:11 PM]
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
Advertisement
*twitch*

1. http://validator.w3.org/ - Put in your site and fix the ~13 problems.

2. Background image is kinda large in filesize, not making us dialup users happy! hehe
3. Keep working on it, making it better... faster... stronger!
http://www.elddir.com/?url=portfolio
First off, no one really has a background of roughly ~230KB. It's just not practical, even for people on broadband. Aside from that, nothing glaringly bad about it.

The links shouldn't change size when hovered over, change the colour or drop a underline instead. Because when viewing in Firefox it forces the text to wrap and the headings overlap with menu(picture). Browsing through your stylesheet as well I'm not sure if you know about the short-hand method for declaration eg. border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: #000; becomes border: 1px solid #000; and there is short-hand for most tags, just a matter of finding out what they are and using them.

For the look and feel of things? I thought it was cool, but then I'm not much of a design person, so.. yeah :)
nice site ;) some problems here on konqueror, but overall nice.
As mentioned by some of the others, you should really get the filesize of that background down a bit somehow, it's not dialup friendly.

I'd make that planet in the background show in the content area as well, but perhaps somewhat translucent; it looks slightly odd just being cut off like that. See an example of what I mean here - note that the seashell in the background is also visible in the content area, which is designed to look like traslucent glass or something similar. Check out the rest of that site while you're at it, it presents some interesting ideas - not that you should use them just because you can, but it's good to know what's possible at least. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

Awesome. Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, I originally wasn't using that huge bitmap for the background, but the site looked pretty crappy and that was just a quick way to make it look better. I'll change it once I get a bit more time.

Yeah Yezzy, I do know of the short-hand way of declaring the css stuff, I just prefer the long-hand way as I find it easier to read and understand, so I can easily see what I was doing without having to go back to a tutorial to find out what I was doing again.

Hmmm, as for the text wrapping around and overlapping the picture, I thought I had that fixed...guess not. What resolution are you using Yezzy? 640 x 480? I've tried it at 800x600 and up with both firefox and IE and didn't have the problem, but thanks for pointing it out.

And Kazgoroth, thanks for the suggestion about using a transparent window. I had tried just letting the planet show through before, but it was super hard to read the text on top of it. Using the transparent window I could cut down on the strength of the planet showing through. I'll have to check out how they did it on that site once I get a bit more time.

Thank you to everyone for the comments/suggestions. Awesome. Anyone got any more? Kinda disappointed that only 1 person has posted their website though.

[Edited by - deadlydog on May 21, 2005 4:04:34 PM]
-Dan- Can't never could do anything | DansKingdom.com | Dynamic Particle System Framework for XNA
I was going to, when I got my proper website uploaded. :)

also, when i browsed for links neither robs nor my links were there (browse by name). Also when I like to open lots of links in new tabs so I can browse through them killing ones I don't like - opening links in new tabs just opened the same page.

Also on konqueror (same rendering engine as safari), when I click on a link in the browsing page it opens in a new window which is very annoying. The link does not load and is simply stuck on the "Processing..." page.

Instead of having a link counting system (hence the ugliness of browsing pages), why not have a link rating system? Report Broken/Offensive link is also needed here.

Good luck and nice idea ;)

two things I'm going to say if you want to make it popular though, keep it accessible and cut down on the &#106avascript.<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - Genjix on May 21, 2005 1:38:20 PM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Hmmm, it looks like I've changed something and now accounts are not being created quite properly, which is why your 2 links weren't showing up when browsing by name....browsing by Website Category and Site Submission Date they show up though.

And yes, I noticed the problem in firefox of trying to open one of the links with the middle click. If you just normally click on it, it opens the link up in a new tab/window fine, but if you middle click on it (which is to open it up in a new tab), it just opens the same page you are already on in the new tab, not the site you are trying to get. Anybody know how to fix that -- I should also mention that I am using &#106avascript to load the new window/tab, so that might be the problem, although I'm not sure why normally clicking would still work fine and middle clicking wouldn't. This is also probably causing the Konqueror/Safari problem.

I do have the option when searching/browsing for it to show if the website is currently up or not, so you don't have to actually open the link to find out it's broken, you just have to turn the 'Show Website Status' option on before hitting the search/browse button. It's off by default because if there are a lot of broken links it can take a while to display all of the results.

Also, I love the idea of people being able to rate the site, I'll have to incorporate that.

Why do you say cut down on the &#106avascript? I thought it was pretty standard in most browsers these days. Are there problems I don't know about with &#106avascript? or do lots of people turn &#106avascript off?<br><br>Awesome, thanks again everyone. Any other suggestions/comments?<br><br><!--EDIT--><span class=editedby><!--/EDIT-->[Edited by - deadlydog on May 21, 2005 4:24:41 PM]<!--EDIT--></span><!--/EDIT-->
Alright, I've fixed the problem with creating accounts. I had added the middle name option, but forgot to include it in my MySQL Insert query, so that was failing. All that should be fixed now. Unfortunately Genjix and Rob I had to delete your websites, since they didn't have any account associated with them, so you will have to recreate an account and repost. Sorry about that.

Anybody have any ideas for my problems in my above post? Thanks.
Quote:Original post by deadlydog
I do have the option when searching/browsing for it to show if the website is currently up or not, so you don't have to actually open the link to find out it's broken, you just have to turn the 'Show Website Status' option on before hitting the search/browse button. It's off by default because if there are a lot of broken links it can take a while to display all of the results.

What are you using to see if the websites are up? I'm preaty sure, havent done this sense i first started coding in php so long ago, there is a way to timeout functions in php.
http://www.elddir.com/?url=portfolio

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement