• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stefu

Python high level network library?

This topic is 4901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want? (Also bear in mind that MS are phasing out Winsock anyway.)

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want? (Also bear in mind that MS are phasing out Winsock anyway.)

What are they replacing it with?

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want?

Player info and tracking system, handling joining, leaving, errors, etc. That would be fantastic, leaving me to do only game essential things.

I do ot know yet what I will be doing, but I have the time and simple Python opengl multiplayer game is a good idea.

PnP Bios, I made a mistake in the above post - of course, I meant to say they are phasing out DirectPlay and asking you to use Winsock. Dumb me. :)

stefu, I don't think what you want exists. However most of it would really be easy to write in Python. You can go down the usual socket/select route which should work fine, or perhaps you could try using the Twisted framework for event-driven networking.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
PnP Bios, I made a mistake in the above post - of course, I meant to say they are phasing out DirectPlay and asking you to use Winsock. Dumb me. :)

stefu, I don't think what you want exists. However most of it would really be easy to write in Python. You can go down the usual socket/select route which should work fine, or perhaps you could try using the Twisted framework for event-driven networking.

Ok, I knew winsock was getting old, but... you had me scared there for a second.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!