• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DirectSound, Making Voices Sound Robotic[ADVANCED]

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible using a certain algorithm, or something, to make your voice sound like a robot using either a Mic or a Wav and using DirectSound? The reason why I ask is because my boss at work (who's a DJ as a hobbyist), has a mixer that can produce this effect. I know a lot of you will not be able to answer this question, but if there's a link out there, or anything that I can find useful, I would appreciate it. Thanks guys, and good luck.

Advertisement
Well DirectSound has a series of effects that can be applied to the buffers, you might want to check them out and see if they are what you're looking for. As for a robotic voice I'm guessing it's just distortion, so you might be able to use that.

DirectSound Interfaces

You could always make an end-run around the problem and just record an actual robotic voice from a voice synth, or use the MS Speech SDK to generate a computer voice in real time. The Speech SDK has a utility that creates wav files from text, which you can play back, or use the TTS sdk as a COM object.

That's only going to work in a limited number of situations, though, I can imagine.

MS Speech SKD

No it's definitely not distortion. And I'm not gonna use an already recorded robotic voice. So far, CVMichael in another forum site told me that it's mute blocks every couple milliseconds throughout the sample. Here's the thread in the forum in case you wanna look:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=340367

Guest Anonymous Poster
Search for "vocoder" or "vocoding".
I'm pretty sure this is what you're looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!