• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fyhuang

X screen resolution + KDE login screen?

This topic is 4901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've set my xorg.conf file so that the available modes are 1024x768, 1600x1200, 800x600, etc. so that 1600x1200 is a supported resolution but 1024x768 is used by default. However, the KDE login screen uses a 1024x768 resolution in a 1600x1200 virtual desktop. Is there any option in the X configuration or KDE configuration to change this? On a side note, putting Virtual 1024x768 doesn't help as it prevents fullscreen games (at least Enemy Territory) from setting a 1600x1200 fullscreen resolution. Also related, ET can only go into 1600x1200 if KDE is currently in 1600x1200. I'm using the ATi Linux drivers if that makes a difference. Help would be greatly appreciated in solving these resolution problems. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure the order in which you specify resolutions in the xorg.conf doesn't matter. In other words, it's always going to use the largest resolution when setting the framebuffer.

Your best bet is to look into xrandr for resolution switching since it actually resizes the framebuffer (I think) rather than just resizing the viewport. Either way, that's what I use with the fglrx driver and it works great.

Make sure you have the following in your Module section or it won't work:
SubSection  "extmod"
Option "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection

Edit: it sounds like you are indeed using xrandr considering you don't get a virtual desktop after logging in. Why not just remove the 1600x1200 from the xorg.conf file? It should only affect the resolution when kdm starts up. Once you log in though, it sounds like xrandr switches the resolution anyway.

Wait, so it doesn't matter if you have 1600x1200 in the xorg.conf, xrandr will switch to that resolution anyways? If my memory serves the KDE Control Panel wouldn't let me switch above 1024x768 when I didn't include 1600x1200 in the modes...

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!