• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Devil_Inside

glCopyTexImage2D and 800 x 600 resolution

This topic is 4897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a problem rendering to texture the entire screen ("taking a screenshot"). My Code: void CreateEmptyTexture(short TexId) //I put this in my Init Function. { unsigned char* data = new unsigned char[800*600*4]; memset(data, 0, 800*600*4); glGenTextures(1, &TextureArray[TexId]); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureArray[TexId]); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA, 800, 600, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, data); delete data; }; void TakeAScreenShot(short TexId, bool Update) //I put this after my drawing functions { if(Update) { glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureArray[TexId]); glCopyTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGB, 0, 0, 800, 600, 0); }; }; void DrawSavedScreenShot(short TexId, bool Show) //This just draws the saved "ScreenShot" { if(Show) { glPushMatrix(); glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glEnable(GL_BLEND); glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glEnable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL); glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE); glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureArray[TexId]); glTranslatef(250,300,0); glScalef(260,260,1); glColor4f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f,0.5f); glBegin(GL_QUADS); glTexCoord2f(0,1); glVertex2f(-1,1); glTexCoord2f(0,0); glVertex2f(-1,-1); glTexCoord2f(1,0); glVertex2f(1,-1); glTexCoord2f(1,1); glVertex2f(1,1); glEnd(); glDisable(GL_COLOR_MATERIAL); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glDisable(GL_BLEND); glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D); glPopMatrix(); }; }; It works fine with 512 x 512 and 1024 x 1024 in glCopyTexImage2D, but with the 800 x 600 resolution it doesn't seem to work. It just draws a white quad. http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?doc=1087646312-07733400&page=2 This is a link to a tutorial on creating a glow effect for Half-Life. It uses ScreenWidth and ScreenHeight variables for glCopyTexImage2D, and this, i suppose, can take values of 800 and 600 as a case when the game resolution is 800 x 600.

Advertisement
That's because you can't use 800x600 textures unless you use the Non-power-of-two ARB extension. Thus in your case, the only valid textures are 2^n in size. To take the screenshot, look at glReadPixels.

I was planning to use that method for some postrender effects, blur.... Can i get the same effects using glReadPixels? Are there some tutorials on glReadPixels? ThankYou

Quote:
Original post by Devil_Inside
I was planning to use that method for some postrender effects, blur.... Can i get the same effects using glReadPixels? Are there some tutorials on glReadPixels? ThankYou

glReadPixels reference. To use it: glReadPixels(0, 0, 800, 600, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, buffer);

It's very slow so don't expect to do any effects with it.

**EDIT**

I've read your post again, seems you want just to render to a texture. My bad, i thought you wanted to take a screenshot and save it to disk. See the above two posts for better information. I would advise you to do your initial rendering to a 2^n sized viewport which can be placed into a 2D texture.

There are 3 ways of handling this;

- Use a texture which is bigger than the screen size and just restrict the texture coords when drawing it to the screen again. The problem with this is wasted texture memory.

- Restrict the drawing of the first pass to a certain window which is the same as the texture size (via glViewport) and just copy it across to the texture.

Both of these suffer from not being able to use a full texture which is bigger than the screen, which can be desireable (800*600 screen but a 1024*1024 texture to improve the details), this can be side stepped with the 3rd solution;

- Use a framebuffer object to render directly to a texture of a size of your choosing or pbuffer to render to a large context and then access it via a texture in later passes.

I suggest that you add this line at the beginning and end of each function that calls OpenGL:

assert( !glGetError() );

In this case, it would trip after you did a glTexImage2D() with size 800x600.

There are two solutions:

1) create a texture that's 1024x1024 and use the lower-left corner of it (with texture coordinates from 0,0 to 800.0/1024.0,600.0/1024.0)

2) use the TEXTURE_RECT texture target instead of the TEXTURE_2D target (requires support for the extension)

hi, AFAIK if you have the ARB_texture_non_power_of_two the TEXTURE_2D target automatically accepts NPOT values, so if its not working its probably safe to assume your card (or current drivers) doesn't support it.

I use glCopyTexSubImage2D with the ARB_texture_rectangle extension and it works quite well, the only thing is that the texturecoords are now in texel position rather than clamped between 0 and 1.

here is my render texture fallback codepath (using tex-rect and copysub)

// create the texture
// bind to ARB_texture_rectangle and do a glCopyTexSubImage, so warn about performance hit..
core::Log( core::Warning( "Performance: NPOT render target, falling back on ARB_texture_rectangle and Frambuffer readback", core::WL_HIGH ) );

apiTarget = GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB;

glGenTextures(1, &apiName);
glBindTexture( apiTarget, apiName );

glTexParameteri( apiTarget, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( apiTarget, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR );
glTexParameteri( apiTarget, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP );
glTexParameteri( apiTarget, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP );

glTexImage2D( apiTarget, 0, GL_RGB16, width, height, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL );

// use the texture target
glEnable( apiTarget );
glBindTexture( apiTarget, apiName );
glCopyTexSubImage2D( apiTarget, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, width, height );

you should also know that EXT_framebuffer_object exists on NVIDIA hardware, and will soon be availibe on ATI hardware too, rendering most of this obsolete.

Cheers
-Danu

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!