• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
oinf

projective texture in a vertex shader

This topic is 4897 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to emulate the fixed function pipline like m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_COUNT4 | D3DTTFF_PROJECTED); in a vertex shader (for a depth shadow map) I use this but it don't work: ;c12 contain matProjLight*matViewLight*matModel*matBias ... m4x4 r0,v0,c12 rcp r0.w, r0.w mul r0.xyz, r0.xyz, r0 mov oT1,r0 ... My code work fine with fixed pipeline.

Advertisement
Firstly, apologies for not even attempting to answer your question :)

Secondly, I see you're doing shadow mapping in DX9... I'm also trying to do this, but failing *miserably*. I just can't seem to get anything to render to a depth buffer. It'd be awesome if you could take a quick look at what I'm doing, cos I feel like I'm getting nowhere with it.

I'm following this technique (http://www.paulsprojects.net/direct3d/shadowmap/shadowmap.html) but I can't get it to work. I'm creating and setting the depth buffers like this:

eng->device->CreateTexture(shadowMapSize, shadowMapSize, 1, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &shadowMapTargetTexture, NULL);
shadowMapTargetTexture->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &shadowMapTargetSurface);
eng->device->SetRenderTarget(0, shadowMapTargetSurface);

eng->device->CreateTexture(shadowMapSize, shadowMapSize, 1, D3DUSAGE_DEPTHSTENCIL, D3DFMT_D24S8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &shadowMapDepthTexture, NULL);
shadowMapDepthTexture->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &shadowMapDepthSurface);
eng->device->SetDepthStencilSurface(shadowMapDepthSurface);

I then render the scene from the light (I've outputted a screen from the target surface of this rendering pass and everything seems ok).

I then reset everything back so it's rendering to the window, and the right kinds of shading are enabled etc.

I then set a dim light up, and set projection and view matrices for the camera up and render the scene in dim light (Screen: http://www.duncanf.co.uk/games/new/windowDim-PROJECT-DEPTH.png - the light is the small ball in the top-left).

I then get ready to projectively texture the shadow map onto the scene this this :

eng->device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 1);
eng->device->SetTexture(1, shadowMapDepthTexture);
eng->device->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE);
eng->device->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
eng->device->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT);
eng->device->SetSamplerState(1, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);
eng->device->SetSamplerState(1, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);
eng->device->SetSamplerState(1, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
eng->device->SetSamplerState(1, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
eng->device->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, D3DTSS_TCI_CAMERASPACEPOSITION);
eng->device->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_PROJECTED | D3DTTFF_COUNT4);

(I have regular textures in texture unit 0, so this has to be done in texture unit 1 - are my multitexturing stages ok for this?). I then set up the texture matrix in exactly the same way as in the paulsprojects tutorial, and set it to be done in texture unit 1.

I then enable a bright light and render the scene again. But no shadows appear, instead it's as if everything is shadowed (Screen: http://www.duncanf.co.uk/games/new/windowBright-PROJECT-DEPTH.png).

Have you got any idea what I could be doing wrong? It's got to be something obvious! When I projectively render the *target* texture rather than the depth texture I do get messy shadow maps, but obviously I need the depth test to make them clean and tidy so this isn't a solution to the problem.

Any ideas? I'm totally stuck.

Thanks for any help, Duncan

try this:

int TexStage=1;
m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(TexStage, m_pShadowBufferDepthTexture);

//use linear filtering
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
//Set up texture coordinate generation
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, D3DTSS_TCI_CAMERASPACEPOSITION);
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_TEXTURETRANSFORMFLAGS, D3DTTFF_COUNT4 | D3DTTFF_PROJECTED);

m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( TexStage, D3DTSS_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_BORDER );
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(TexStage, D3DTSS_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_BORDER );
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( TexStage, D3DTSS_BORDERCOLOR, 0xffffffff );
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( TexStage, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 );
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( TexStage, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE );
m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( TexStage, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );

//Set up texture matrix
D3DXMATRIX inverseView;
D3DXMatrixInverse(&inverseView, NULL, &m_matView);

D3DXMATRIX textureMatrix=inverseView * m_matViewLightDX*m_matProjLightDX*biasMat;

m_pd3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_TEXTURE1, &textureMatrix);

with pixel shader:
ps.1.1
def c0, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f, 1.0f

tex t0 //your base texture
tex t1 //depth texture

//******
add r1, t1, c0
mul r0, v0, r1
mul r0, t0, r0

pay attention, texture usage of type "D3DUSAGE_DEPTHSTENCIL" are not recognized by ATI hardware, on NVIDIA no problem.

sorry for my bad english.

Your english is fine, I understood what you were saying :)

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Everything is still rendered dimly, as if everything were in shadow. Are you using DirectX 9.0? If so, how are you rendering to your depth buffer when generating the depth texture?

Cheers, Duncan

//my code
//"m_pDC" is derived from the Direct3D device (var from my engine).

m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SHADEMODE, D3DSHADE_FLAT);
static D3DVIEWPORT8 viewport = { 0, 0, SHADOWBUFFERWIDTH, SHADOWBUFFERHEIGHT, 0.0f, 1.0f };
if (
!SUCCEEDED(m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderTarget( m_DummyRenderTargetSurface, m_pShadowBufferDepthSurface ))
)
::ReportHandler(this);

m_pd3dDevice->SetViewport( &viewport );

m_pd3dDevice->Clear( 0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, 0x000000000, 1.0f, 0L );

m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(0, NULL);
m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(1, NULL);

//Deactivate lighting

m_VC->setMatrix(DC_MATRIX_STACK_PROJECTION, m_matProjLight);
m_VC->setMatrix(DC_MATRIX_STACK_MODELVIEW, m_matViewLight);

//Render your primitive here

//Restore lighting

// Restore your target surface
RestoreRenderTarget();

m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SHADEMODE, D3DSHADE_GOURAUD);

//try to save your texture to view from the light point of view
D3DXSaveTextureToFile("c://light.bmp",D3DXIFF_BMP, m_DummyRenderTargetTexture, NULL);
If the image is good the stencil surface must be good too.

The image is good. But still the depth texture does not work - everything is rendered shadowed. Is there anyway I can check the depth texture manually? It does not work when I use D3DXSaveTextureToFile. Thanks for your help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!