[web] inlining javascript inside css

Started by
8 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 11 months ago
here, you see that meadow at the top, how can i stretch that to the width of the document like this?

if(document.width() - x > 1024)    // image doesn't look good at this resolution
{
        distance = (document.width() - x) / 2;
        image.left = distance;
        image.right = distance;
}
else
{
        image.left = 0;
        image.right = document.width();
}

Thanks.
Advertisement
You can't just specify 100% width?
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
// style.css#banner{	position: absolute;	top: 0px;	left: 0px;	/*horizontal-align:*/        width: 100%;        background: url("scree.png");}

// html<div id="banner"></div>

You use the background-css-attribute of divs.
Quote:Original post by Genjix
here, you see that meadow at the top, how can i stretch that to the width of the document like this?
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

Thanks.

the thing is once you stretch the picture beyond a certain amount it looks stupid. is there no way I can embed &#106avascript inside the css attributes? (I'm not too bothered about the resizing - the image can stay the same size and be in the middle).
Oh wait. I probably understood the problem totally differently from how I should have. [grin]

In IE, you can use an ImageFilter ('blur' to be exact.)
 <style type="text/css">.banner {filter: blur(Strength=2); // adjust the strength};</style>

You can combine this with &#106avascript to dynamically adjust the strength.<br><br>For other browsers, I don't know.
the thing is once you stretch the picture beyond a certain amount it looks stupid. is there no way I can embed &#106avascript inside the css attributes? (I'm not too bothered about the resizing - the image can stay the same size and be in the middle).

You can set attributes with &#106avascript, but there is no <i>embedding</i> of &#111;ne within the other.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
oh... ok, thanks. I thought maybe you could do something similar to running a program on a webserver where the output of the code is used. Thanks anyway.
is there any way I can do any kind of css arithmetic then?
	width: 100% - 10px;

? thanks again.
is there any way I can do any kind of css arithmetic then?
	width: 100% - 10px;

? thanks again.

You can't do anything like that in CSS, however you could do something like the following to get a similar effect:

width: 100%; margin-right: 10px;

Here, the object will take up the entire width, however thanks to the margin, it will appear to be 10px less than the width.

This actually offers more flexibility because if you wanted to have the 10px gap "infront" of the object, you'd just have to change margin-right to margin-left.
Actually, no. The final width of an object is the width + the padding + the border + the margin. That means the object will appear to be 10px too wide if you do that. See also http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/box.html.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement