• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bah

DirectPlay lobbies

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am writing wrapper classes for DirectPlay objects as an exercise and was just wondering what is the big deal with DirectPlay lobbies? According to the SDK, players can get together in a lobby and arrange a game but how many games really use it? It seems more sensible to me to simply launch the game, get a list of servers and join one (just like in games such as Unreal). Thanks

Advertisement
Seems of a matter of personal preference, really. I can think of some games where the lobby make game arrangements a lot easier (*mutters something about Diablo*), and others where just popping into a game from a serverlist is better (*murmers about CounterStrike*). Like any tool given, use it when it does the job you need done, not just for the heck of using it. ;)

If your game is a game where you might be talking to other people or need to setup options for your client the same way, lobby. if its a game where you just dont care who your gonna frag next server list seems best. just my opinion.

All the same, perhaps I should include support for lobbies.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!