Custom GUI's ? [vc++]

Started by
5 comments, last by Deus Ex Otium 18 years, 11 months ago
I've seen many games made with DirectX that have textured buttons. Is it possible that they were part of a dialog box? Or were they rendered and tested for clicks on them? Anyway, if they were part of a dialog, how were they textured? I tried with CBitmapButton, but it interfered with DirectX... Any suggestions? [Edited by - Deus Ex Otium on May 21, 2005 10:33:18 PM]
Advertisement
They're probably making their own GUI manually.

What games are you refering to?
Well.. Diablo 2, Conquer, and Tibia

Just about any game that has a menu, really :/

P.S. looking back: I see that some of these do not really look like something created from a dialog. Silly me. Can you point me into the direction of a guide on making GUI's?
These are made manually using DirectX. No dialogs involved.

Unfortunatly I know of no tutorials and I don't use DirectX. But some DirectX people are sure to come and tell you the details.

Basically, it works something like this: In DirectDraw, the GUI would be drawn as sprites over the top of the game.

I'm not sure of the Direct3D specifics, but if it's like OpenGL (which one would assume it is), then it basically involves setting up an orthographic projection matrix, clearing or ignoring the depth buffer, and just drawing textured quads on the screen in the way you want them.

Input, of course, is whatever your application uses. If you get mouse deltas, you just track the cursor position yourself, if you get absolute position, then you just draw your own cursor there.
That's what I was afraid of...

Should I post in the game section? (Since this involves DirectX) Or should I wait in this section because it would be too close to double posting?
I'd wait here (and try the DirectX forum later if necessay).

You could stary by describing exactly what you need help with. Is it just how to design your code?
Yes, I do need how to design my code. Things like finding where the mouse is being clicked at and how to send/receive messages using this kind of method.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement