• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nypyren

Multi-monitor *windowed* present

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm experimenting with using Direct3D to paint the primary display of a regular windows app I'm making. Everything's going fine, but the render performance dies when I move the window to my other monitor. I've got a single video card running two monitors (instead of two video cards like I used to have). What is the 'correct' method to render properly in this situation without losing performance on the secondary monitor? Ahh... I'm using C#, but I suspect the technique is general and language doesn't especially matter.

Advertisement
The approach taken by DXUT is to destroy and recreate the IDirect3DDevice9 whenever a window is "mostly" on another monitor. You can check where you are with GetWindowRect() and see the monitor coverage using IDirect3D9::GetAdapterMonitor().

As for the case when the window is physically split between two monitors... thats a tricky one. I'm not sure if you can get around having one adapter pipe its framebuffer to another adapter. Anyone else?

2 monitor on a single video card will hurt your performance in any case. The best thing to have 2 cards (1 AGP and 1 PCI), render the Direct3D stuff with the AGP card (or PCI Express) and the rest with the PCI card on the other monitor.

I suppose you want to run your app on a monitor and show debugger and tools on the other one. So the PCI card doesn't need to ba able to render 3D stuff. Geforce2 are quite cheap nowadays and will do the trick.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!