• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

I can see anything, anywhere I hope.

This topic is 4746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Suppose I've got a universe so big I'm using an arbitrary size integer library to store position(no, it's not an Elite clone). Obviously things are going to go beyond the capacity of the gfx card's largest floating point data type. So what one should do is cull those spaces one cannot render, translate the positions of all possibly rendered objects to camera coordinates, then cull those objects, and then render them. Is there anything glaringly stupid with this plan? If correct, this implies I don't need to translate the camera, but I should still rotate the camera to avoid having to translate object centers twice. Is this also correct?

Advertisement
Suppose the camera is at galaxy[2659,27589,327], solar system, [2897,5,9387], and section[495,49,795]. Everything within a sector is a float or double for position along an axis. I know I just made up numbers, but let's suppose that the current camera orientation is such that it is looking across a section boundary. One camera coordinate within the camera's section is thus 10,000 let's say, but much of what it sees is in the other section and their coorddinates are like 1 or 10, thus one cannot simply use the section coordinates as they are because it will appear that the 1's and 10's are behind the camera when in fact they are in front of it but in another section.

camera-> | object
|
9000 10000 | 1000 2000
section boundary

Does this make more sense or has no one replied for another reason?

Nope, nothing wrong with it. Dungeon Siege used this method to allow a world with no size limits/loading times.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!