Does RedBook Rulezzz?

Started by
3 comments, last by JavaCoolDude 18 years, 11 months ago
I'm quite long with C++, as I think, so now it's time to start with some graphics. Choosing between DirectX and OpenGL I preferred last one, cause it's easy to operate and is not powerless(if you have enough knowledge to make things look great). I started reading RedBook(by Silicon) in .pdf file and moved through about 100 pages with total clearence. Now I wanna buy some book about OGL, so I ask you to suggest what to buy to get GOOD start. Is RedBook a good choice(it seems so)? Maybe something else? P.S. Sorry for worst English you've ever seen...
ID Software is waiting for me.Cleaners wanted there 8)
Advertisement
i have the red book. OpenGL Programming Guide Opengl 1.4. it is good but no shading language....but a good start! i like it
RedBook is the ultimate resource for OpenGL, nothing even comes close. Though after learning OpenGL, you might need a book on how to apply the api for games, for which you should look for some Game Programming book, prefrably using OpenGL
The orange book covers GLSL. You really should look into that book as well.
OpenGL super Bible is a good pick too, however don't go around throwing it in random directions as you might end up killing somebody due to its pharonic size :D
I'm not a big fan of the orange book and the whole high level shading language thing since often a shader will fail to run on a certain set of drivers or cards.
I have the book (signed by the author with whom I met in SIGGRAPH 2004), but I didn't bother reading more than few pages.
Also this is a great place to learn about OpenGL neat tricks :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement