• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lincsimp

OpenGL ati + opengl

This topic is 4899 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey hey i dont know where to post this ... it seems to me that, from the reviews I've read, ati seems to be concentrating more on its directx drivers on its top end cards than opengl? I've noticed in several tests 6600s and 6800s falls behind ati's x800s and x850s generally, just to leap ahead in opengl games like doom 3... is this true?... the ati cards seem to be coming out much cheaper, but lacking decent opengl drivers ... i hope they will sort it if its the case... cheers

Advertisement
NV have put more effort into their OpenGL implimentation over the years as such ATI does lag behind slightly on performance (also games written with OpenGL tend to be written with NV in mind, which probably helps) however ATI's drivers are perfectly decent when it comes to OpenGL and they are working on improving them

The fact that ATi is more concerned about DX than GL comes from the market general tendency to moving towards DX powered games. I mean think about, what is the percentage of GL games compared to DX in the past few years? A tiny fraction I must say.
Few days ago I was talking with one of NV engineers and I brought up the fact that their SDK is refreshed far more often with DXs samples than GLs and he mentioned the same observation that I did.
It doesn't mean that GL will go the GLIDE way, heck I firmly believe it's here to stay, but for some reason developers are hardly paying any attention to it.
Having said that, things look a bit better now that ES is out and the PS3 will be exploiting it.

As far as commercial developers go, i doubt the tendancy towards d3d is as prounounced as you might think, the fact of the matter is many many many games still let you choose a d3d or openGL renderer. As far as amateurs(sp? im tired) go, I believe the gap comes from D3DX, it makes it quite easy to jump straight into game development and skip any of the math and theory, this, no doubt, attracts many newcomers, combined with the fact that most developers NEED to use directx for input anyways, brings them over. The solution to curb this trend, in my mind, would be to create a library that combines openGL with an input library, sound library, networking library, maybe even a physics library, but most definitely add a helper library as well, for things like math.

i proposed putting together a board of developers to decide what api's would fit the bill, and create this little library to encourage young developers to begin over with openGL, but no one really seemed interested :-/

anyways, those are my two cents/rant
cheers
-Dan

* a lot of the main guys at nvidia worked at agi so theyre always had an greater interest in opengl
* nvidia do a lot more for developers, for every piece of info/pdf/demo at the ati u will find 5 at the nvidia one
* mvidia are making the graphics for the ps3 which is using opengl|es

nvidia's opengl implementation is also much better, especially the linux
implementation where ati lacks everything.

i had a lot of problems with ati opengl implementation, somethimes it
didn't make any sense.. it just didn't work as expected and how it
worked elsewhere..

Quote:
Original post by Ademan555
As far as commercial developers go, i doubt the tendancy towards d3d is as prounounced as you might think, the fact of the matter is many many many games still let you choose a d3d or openGL renderer. As far as amateurs(sp? im tired) go, I believe the gap comes from D3DX, it makes it quite easy to jump straight into game development and skip any of the math and theory, this, no doubt, attracts many newcomers, combined with the fact that most developers NEED to use directx for input anyways, brings them over. The solution to curb this trend, in my mind, would be to create a library that combines openGL with an input library, sound library, networking library, maybe even a physics library, but most definitely add a helper library as well, for things like math.

i proposed putting together a board of developers to decide what api's would fit the bill, and create this little library to encourage young developers to begin over with openGL, but no one really seemed interested :-/

anyways, those are my two cents/rant
cheers
-Dan

i think this is a good idea, i wouldnt mind discussing it with you further as i
had started a project to mimic (exactly) d3dx's functions, but i need someone
else to help me out with it as uni is taking alot of my time these days.

Cheers
-Danu

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!