• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Axiverse

Management of sprite animations

This topic is 4830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do games manage the large amount of sprites that it needs, for example, starcraft had hundreds of mb of sprites, but it only needed 16mb ram to run. Can you load per frame, or what do you do?

Advertisement
For at start, you don't load all the sprites, you only load the ones needed in the chosen map/game.
And if the RAM is filled up, Windows will put the rest in the pagefile (although it will distribute your applications data in both the RAM and the pagefile anyways).

well I am quite the noob in terms of this... but here is my 2 cents.
I use openGL to do my graphics which means I only need to load the textures I need, and base my sprites off their positions on that BMP.
I have a sprite class which stores its positions on the texture, and the type of sprite (layer on map).
I then have an Entity class. This class has an arrayed std::list, which holds animation sequences for things like walking, breathing, dying, etc. I use another method to iterate through this list. It is an arrayed list because I obviously have more than one list.

Keep in mind I am a bit of a noob, but that's how I have gotten results I like.

To be honest I have not checked to see how much RAM my app uses.
How do I go about doing this?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by fooman_69

If you are using windows XP press ctrl+alt+del and go to the Processes tab.
Then locate your process and check Mem Usage.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by fooman_69

If you are using windows XP press ctrl+alt+del and go to the Processes tab.
Then locate your process and check Mem Usage.

That doesn't show the total amount if you're not also displaying total virtual memory, since Windows can place the data in both (and will if you have a page file).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!