• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Telastyn

Boost install problems.

This topic is 4902 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I figure it's well past time I should've taken a look into the boost library, given its high praise around here. I ran into a roadblock some time ago with its odd installation procedure. I recently upgraded my dev system, so a pre-made package was now available. Anyways, using the boost package found here for NetBSD 2.0 for i386, g++ 3.3.3, and the boost sample code found here creates quite a number of errors. The compilation is started as g++ -g2 -o number_list number_list.cpp and produces about 4000 lines of error code, all of which look similar to:
In file included from /usr/include/boost/mpl/int.hpp:17,
                 from /usr/include/boost/type_traits/detail/template_arity_spec.hpp:10,
                 from /usr/include/boost/type_traits/detail/bool_trait_def.hpp:14,
                 from /usr/include/boost/type_traits/is_integral.hpp:15,
                 from /usr/include/boost/type_traits/is_arithmetic.hpp:12,
                 from /usr/include/boost/detail/call_traits.hpp:26,
                 from /usr/include/boost/call_traits.hpp:21,
                 from /usr/include/boost/spirit/core/match.hpp:14,
                 from /usr/include/boost/spirit/core.hpp:29,
                 from number_list.cpp:17:
/usr/include/boost/mpl/int_fwd.hpp:22: error: template with C linkage
Which is the first #include, and what appears to be every template in the boost library. All of the errors are the same reference to C linkage. Google seems to indicate that macs + boost tend to yield this error, and is some sort of function specification gone awry. Unfortunately, looking near the lines posted, and the includes immediately proceeding them does not seem to have anything out of the ordinary. Though I'm not sure if I could tell even if there were. So, what does this error mean? Is there simply a parameter to the compiler or linker I'm missing? Is there an easy fix? I don't imagine the OS supplied package has something wrong with it, and I'd rather not fight through a manual install if I have a choice in the matter.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!