civilization 3

Started by
5 comments, last by ukdeveloper 18 years, 11 months ago
I want to develop a game similar to civ 3 but am unsure how to get started??
Advertisement
To be blunt: if you don't know where to start, you won't know where to go. You should probably learn a bit more first.
Start Here
I think that start here thing is starting to show its age.
Example:I want to understand DirectX in a deeper way:Direct X-tasy by Andre LamotheI want more information on Direct3D:Direct3D 7 Immediate Mode Framework ProgrammingI need help with getting into Direct3D:An Overview of Direct3D by Bipin Patwardhan  which contains within:     o Overview of Direct3D     o Direct3D Retained Mode     o Direct3D Immediate Mode
And various other things on DirectInput 3.0 and 16bit Directdraw. Ill note that nothing is said on OpenGL and the issue of realizing 2D on the modern implementations of the leading APIs [DirectXGraphics and OpenGL]. Nothing is said on the issue of physics, whose the inclusion of basics from the beginining would result in large benefits in the future. Nor are Python and SDL mentioned as possible alternative entry routes into the game programming scene. The issue of the various free 3D Engines Ogre, Torque etc. and the benefits and level required for their usage is ignored. All these issues couple to make the Start Here section more a thing of history and a view of the past than anything of use to a beginner.

Instead, I would recommend visiting one of the various forum FAQs depending on interest. Especially one of the following:

Artificial Intelligence | Artificial Intelligence Articles

Isometric Land | Your answer lies buried within here: Isometric and Tile-based Games

DirectX[Forum FAQ] This will also be of benefit: DirectXGraphics

OpenGL [Forum FAQ]

For Beginners[Forum FAQ]

Game Programming

Graphics Programming and Theory [Forum FAQ]

Math and Physics [Forum FAQ]

[Edited by - Daerax on May 23, 2005 10:21:23 AM]
Thats a pretty massive undertaking man- I mean, Civ3 is a pretty complex game!

The main thing you will need to research for a game like this is AI, thats pretty much what makes civ3 the game it is. There are many articles here gamedev and the web which will help you towards this end.
I suggest you tackle a much simpler project first, something involving some basic AI- and work your way up from there.

Remember- you have to learn to walk before you can run! Get to know the basics first, then move onto the harder stuff..
There's an open source version of Civilisation underway at the moment, which you could always look at, and maybe even join in? It's at www.freeciv.org and is great fun, not as polished as the commercial product, but some of it's features are definately better!
Quote:Original post by alexgsmith
There's an open source version of Civilisation underway at the moment, which you could always look at, and maybe even join in? It's at www.freeciv.org and is great fun, not as polished as the commercial product, but some of it's features are definately better!

Seconded. I've been playing it on my Linux box, it's pretty good (and multiplayer by default!)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement