• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Clotty

Football (Soccer) Management Simulation/Game

This topic is 4748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wanting to create my own football management simulation/game, but I have no idea of what step to take. I would like to create a 2D, birds eye view, match engine ... I'd suppose this would be the most complicated task. I've fiddled around with Python for a day ... but I don't think using Python for my game would be the best option. The only other program I have at my disposal is VB6, and from what I've gathered, that would be the best route to take for my project. I have virtually no experience with programming though and don't know where to turn. What advice and help can you offer me? Can you recommend any tutorials or anything? I have one VB6 book, but it's extremely difficult to follow. How long would it take for me to graps a decent command of VB6 to start my game, if I worked at learning more about it often? Is my game even a realistic target to have using VB6? Whatever feedback you think is necesarry is welcome.

Advertisement
I don't see how you figure that Visual Basic 6 is a good fit for your game project and Python is not, especially with only a day of experience in Python. Care to elaborate?

In any case, if you are that new to programming, I wouldn't expect immediate results. It will take some time and effort, and a lot of learning, to get to the point where you can create what you are envisioning. What you are planning sounds pretty reasonable to me as far as game ideas go, but with no experience, you're probably going to want to come up with other projects to begin with so that you can work your way up to that point. Tic tac toe seems to be popular around here.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Ikana
I don't see how you figure that Visual Basic 6 is a good fit for your game project and Python is not, especially with only a day of experience in Python. Care to elaborate?

Well, for starters, I imagine I'd save time on the layout, and it would be far easier for me if I created the layout with VB6, as opposed to fiddling around with things typing in code for every page with Python. Also, more people, that I know, can help me out with VB6 as opposed to Python. Another thing that gave me this opinion was I'd need to learn Pygame to assist with what I envision creating if I took the Python route, and although it may be similar, if I used VB6 I could just stick to that, and it's a better known program universally, from what I understand.

I hope that explains it for you.

Any other feedback?

Sorry, I'm the annonymos poster ... I forgot to sign in :(

After reading some articles I've noted C++ might be the best program to use, but it doesn't seem to be good program for beginners to start with. I don't have it on my PC and I was wondering if there was anywhere that the C++ program can be downloaded. I doubt it, but it's worth asking.

[Edited by - Clotty on May 22, 2005 11:58:01 PM]

If you mean a development enviroment for c++ you can look hear

Dev C++

tutorials can be found online, just google for them, but if you have no experience, VB is a good language to start with as it would take a lot longer before you started anything graphical in C++

[edited for readibility]

Well first up Microsoft are in the process of removing mainstream support for Visual Basic 6. Infact they are trying not to support any Visual Studio 6 product, being that .Net has been around for quite a while now. If you are familar with Pyhton (I'm not at all) then perhaps you can still use that. VB6 I would def not recommend.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/

You can download a free beta of the latest VB.Net, if that's your chosen way to go.

I would suggest C# myself though - a good half-way house between VB and C++. Java also has tons of decent freebie compilers and IDEs out their, and there are tons and tons of resources for that.

You can also get some legit free C# compilers, including the excellent sharpdevelop http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

As for where to start - for what you are suggesting I would aim at a GDI / forms based view of your game. You don't need to dazzle yourself with all that DirectX stuff just yet, unless you want to go into the deepend.

There are good articles here on gamedev, and http://www.codeproject.com/ has tons of useful articles for you to learn from.

Some people are elitists and say "don't bother with xyz, just use C++". Unless you feel like learning C++ you can ignore them. C++ is of course way up to the task - and the choice of many professionals, but it will considerable effort and many hours of cursing before you get a game up and going if you are a rank beginner at handling your own memory. Though a pro at C++ could probably produce something as fast in C++ as another pro in C# / Java, it would require many more lines and effort (and before someone picks me up on that - take COM for example - it is a pain in the bum in C++ compared to C#).

Performance differences will be marginal for such a simple game.

Can the C++ programming software be downloaded from the net anywhere? I don't mean a compiler ... I mean the actual program where you create projects.

Quote:
Original post by Clotty
Can the C++ programming software be downloaded from the net anywhere? I don't mean a compiler ... I mean the actual program where you create projects.

You mean an IDE?

Well Dev-cpp is an IDE :|

IDE? I have extremely limited knowledge. If I were to download that would I be able to program projects in C++?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!