Let's talk about run-time list building.

Started by
4 comments, last by dopo 18 years, 11 months ago
Hi,guys,have you ever thing about build list runtime. In case that you are rendering a terrain which is a 1024*1024 map and the camera stays at a point,it is obvious that using a list is much better than send vertexs to card by glVertexPointer.However if glBuildList needs too mush time it would be a conflict whether to use it. Perhaps you are thinking that using VBO would be a mush better way,but there is still a lot of old cards not supporting the new feather. So what do you guys think about whether to use run-time list or not?
Advertisement
Actually, if you're playing games at all, chances are you've got the vertex buffer extension, ive lost my source, but iirc geforce2 and up will support it and radeon 9100 and up.

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Yes,you're right,but there is strill a lot of old PC which have only embodied video card.and it is just a discussion for a possibility to use run-time list.Maybe it is very interesting to use it.
It is just for fun.
As long as you are creating the lists before the game starts, it shouldn't matter too much how long it takes, and the benefits are too good as long as the vertices don't move.

Vaguely recent cards that don't have VBO:
Radeon 7000
Any and all Sis onboard chipsets

So it's not a huge market without VBO. Every GeForce, as well as the Riva TNT and Riva TNT2 have VBO. Second, instead of trying to dynamically construct lists (which is a terrible idea), just use vertex arrays, compiled vertex arrays if available. Compiled vertex arrays actually perform very well; they basically just cost you a lot of bus bandwidth. (If you only need to construct a display list once ever, of course...)
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
So it is.
i have to give up the silly idea.
Thx for you reply.
:->

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement