• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Anyone know where to get a basic pre-balanced RPG system?

This topic is 4747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm trying to make a basic RPG more for the purposes of solidifying my knowledge of C++ than anything else. Anyone know where I can get a list of character statistics that is already balanced that I can use to avoid having to create a balanced play system for something that isn't meant to be for anything besides learning? Either that or a guide to creating a balanced RPG system. Just looking for something basic. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
The best thing to do would probably be to adapt the rules / characters of an existing system - google for free d&d characters, or GURPS characters or something like that - a lot of results show up, but without knowing the setting you want the RPG to be in, or how complex you want it to be, its hard to know what would be best.

If you aren't going to sell/distribute the game when its done you should be fine with just adapting some already existing stuff like that.

D&D???!!! Balanced???!!!

HA!!! Hahahahahahahah!!

(Sorry, I'm not dissing D&D, I play it alot. I just wouldn't call it "balanced")

brinmalice - First you will have to define, for yourself and for everybody else, what exactly you mean by balanced. What are you balancing against what?

I am implementing FATE over Fudge for my engine.

d20 (D&D) is also under the Open Gaming License, so you may implement it as well, If I understand correctly you can even make a comercial game using your implementation as long as you dont claim to have any relationship with D&D, or Wizards of the Coast.

Strength and Health and Magic are the most basic stats for an RPG imo. Just deal with those to keep track of the player's life and the amount of damage they do to an enemy.

You can do something simple with the stats like make the starting stats 1 for strength, 2 for health and 2 for magic. Make the strength increase by 1 for every level and make health and magic increase by 2

You can always just change the values of the different stats to make it more realistic because if magic is 2 then you only have enough mana to cast 2 spells unless you make the spells take a percentage of 1 from the mana pool.

I hope this helps a little =)
Good luck on the RPG

Pretty much I just want a not so complex set of stats that I can work around so I can implement a decent dragon warrior esque fighting system that has full functionality of experience checking and so forth. Unfortunately the only books I have laying around are Paladium RPG books that require skill checks and so forth. I guess it doesn't have to be that great. Just kinda wanted to be able to have different classes such as warrior, mage, and so forth. Then to be able to mix and match party. Trying to get down breaking game up into headers and cpp files and splitting up battle engine from interface and so forth. Just thought it would be easier to plug in an existing system if I knew what stats worked well but games like DW3 and Final Fantasy Tactics are hard to get base stats and track growth because they allow class changes and random amounts of stat gain.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!