• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
firlefanz

Using a bumpmap for a planet sphere

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have created a small universe with some planets, I am using Omega headers (made with Clooties headers) for DX8.1 I have different planet textures and use them on a sphere, the sphere is an X File. It looks good but perhaps could look better... What type of bump mapping is it where you have an extra texture that is black and white and is used like a heightmap or something (for bumpmapping)? Are there any samples about this matter? Or Tutorials or something? I want my planets to look more 3dish, perhaps somebody can help me with that, thanks! Firle

Advertisement
Although I'm not sure it holds for the DX8 SDK; the DX9 SDK and up contains a sample that does just that (showing earth with a bump map). It is called BumpEarth and I think it is your best resource! Greetz,

Illco

Quote:
Original post by firlefanz
What type of bump mapping is it where you have an extra texture that is black and white and is used like a heightmap or something (for bumpmapping)?

Are you thinking of Parallax Displacement Mapping? I've used it via shaders and I must say the results are quite good! But even otherwise just plain ol' Bumpmappins is good enough provided you generate the normals correctly (use the DDS plugin for photoshop - it has quite a number of things you can tweak).

Hello,

it should also work on older cards, so I'll try Dot3 Bumpmapping, not Displacement. So I'll take a look at that BumpEarth sample...

Too bad I don't have photoshop. Now I need something to make a DDS map out of my planet texture...

Thanks for your help!

Firlefanz

Quote:
Original post by firlefanz
Too bad I don't have photoshop. Now I need something to make a DDS map out of my planet texture...

Hello,
Look at the DirectX utilities - there should be a texture tool - that will do what you want!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!