Using a bumpmap for a planet sphere

Started by
3 comments, last by DrGUI 18 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I have created a small universe with some planets, I am using Omega headers (made with Clooties headers) for DX8.1 I have different planet textures and use them on a sphere, the sphere is an X File. It looks good but perhaps could look better... What type of bump mapping is it where you have an extra texture that is black and white and is used like a heightmap or something (for bumpmapping)? Are there any samples about this matter? Or Tutorials or something? I want my planets to look more 3dish, perhaps somebody can help me with that, thanks! Firle
Visit my homepage www.ericbehme.deDon't miss the download section ;)
Advertisement
Although I'm not sure it holds for the DX8 SDK; the DX9 SDK and up contains a sample that does just that (showing earth with a bump map). It is called BumpEarth and I think it is your best resource! Greetz,

Illco
Quote:Original post by firlefanz
What type of bump mapping is it where you have an extra texture that is black and white and is used like a heightmap or something (for bumpmapping)?

Are you thinking of Parallax Displacement Mapping? I've used it via shaders and I must say the results are quite good! But even otherwise just plain ol' Bumpmappins is good enough provided you generate the normals correctly (use the DDS plugin for photoshop - it has quite a number of things you can tweak).
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd
Hello,

it should also work on older cards, so I'll try Dot3 Bumpmapping, not Displacement. So I'll take a look at that BumpEarth sample...

Too bad I don't have photoshop. Now I need something to make a DDS map out of my planet texture...

Thanks for your help!

Firlefanz

Visit my homepage www.ericbehme.deDon't miss the download section ;)
Quote:Original post by firlefanz
Too bad I don't have photoshop. Now I need something to make a DDS map out of my planet texture...

Hello,
Look at the DirectX utilities - there should be a texture tool - that will do what you want!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement