3D engine for FPS

Started by
13 comments, last by kodeninja 18 years, 11 months ago
You can also take a look at open source engines to see what awaits you if you decide to try to write an engine.
Maybe you'll like an engine and decide to use it instead!?

You can build an engine out of several libraries that already exist.
HawkNL for networking ... Ogre for graphics and PhysFS as a file system with archive support.

Or just use a(n almost) complete game engine like NeoEngine or Crystal Space.
You probably won't understand a lot of the code right away.
But study it. If you want to write your own engine you should be able to understand that kind of code.
Writing errors since 10/25/2003 2:25:56 AM
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by SuperDre
Ever heard of the search option? first make sure you know how to use search options before you even think about creating a 3d engine..

Why did you even bother posting this?
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
If you want to write a basic FPS engine along with the game I would highly suggest the book Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX which has already been suggested in the thread. This book shows you the basics of how to put together the engine as well as the game, and at the end you have a playable FPS.
Quote:Original post by Clueless
You probably won't understand a lot of the code right away.
But study it. If you want to write your own engine you should be able to understand that kind of code.

Yes. Good tip. Being able to read and comprehend others' (what's the proper grammar for that? other's? others's?) is a crucial ability, especially for when you get out into the work place. And it'll teach you some nifty programming tricks as well.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
I'd suggest going through some of the nehe tutorials for getting a feel for 3d first.
In fact tutorial 10 ( http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=10 ) is almost like a first step to making a 3D FPS. Mind you, its far from being a complete one, but helpful all the same. :)

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement