• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
seaephpea

gl_arb_draw_buffers

This topic is 4898 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There doesn't seem to be much information on this on the web, other than the rather inpenetrable specifications for it. ( http://www.msi.unilim.fr/~porquet/glexts/GL_ARB_draw_buffers.txt.html ) Could anyone give me/direct me to a guide to what it does and does not allow you to do? Does it enable you to render both to a texture/VBO/PBO and to the framebuffer in one pass? If so does it enable you to render different things to each (as long as they're related by vertex/fragment program)? Or does it just enable you to render to the back buffer when you "should" be rendering to the front? Given that my video card doesn't support it, this question is perhaps a tad indulgent, but if it does do what I hope it does, maybe I'll treat myself to an FX6600... Thanks, Tom

Advertisement
Right well I had read the Overview section. (Several times). Maybe I'm either being dumb or don't have the requisite background knowledge.

Quote:
This extension extends ARB_fragment_program and ARB_fragment_shader to allow multiple output colors, and provides a mechanism for directing those outputs to multiple color buffers.

The bit I'm unclear about is what exactly "multiple color buffers" means. Does the normal framebuffer count as a color buffer? Does a texture count as a color buffer? etc. etc.

Thanks,

Tom

its kinda like Ronseal, it does what it says on the tin.

A colour buffer is a buffer which holds colour infomation. Its left vague like that because asyou pointed out the main framebuffer is a colour as well as textures and with the FBO extension it will be possible to rendering to multiple textures at once

Thanks for your help. It sounds like the extension would just about do what I wanted it to do, at least when combined with FBO's and PBO's.

It's a shame there isn't an equivalent for the vertex shader (or is there) because that would really make my life a lot easier.

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!