• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jordi_0071

C++ too difficult

This topic is 5019 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I personally think c++ is not that hard to learn if you put enough time into it.. it's not assembly or anything, and why not start learning the language that you'd eventually have to learn eventually ANYWAY? I think starting with pascal or python might even confuse new people when they finally have to move to c++ with new terminology and syntax.. There are many many very simple c++ tutorials online (& books) that are really easy to follow and understand. If people find c++ too difficult, then they are learning from the wrong places, take a class, read a better book, find a simpler tutorial..

my .02

[Edited by - Techx on May 24, 2005 10:39:33 AM]

Advertisement
Just remember that in programming you will get out what you put in. Python has been mentioned and I think that it would be a good choice if you don't want to stick with c++ for now. The documentation is really good and free and you can do quality things with python. Once you feel ok programming with python you can check out pygame and then maybe begin making some games.

Quote:
Original post by Fruny
Quote:

It's hard but I'm doing it
just seems smart to learn it first

I strongly disagree. There is a clear difference between learning a programming language and learning how to program. With C++, you have to focus so much on learning the language that it hinders your learning of how to program: instead of learning to solve practical problems, you waste ages wondering whether X should be public or private, what would be the "best" way to arrange your class infrastructure, whether X or Y is "more optimal", what's the difference between a pointer and a reference, why do you get linker error XYZ ...

That's not helpful.

That's funny it sounds like your describing "C++ Primer" 3rd edition which I bought since it was highly recommended and didn't help me learn c++ at all!
It seems like the authors learned the errors of their ways and the 4th edition of the same book is a completely different book:
"This popular tutorial introduction to standard C++ has been completely updated, reorganized, and rewritten to help programmers learn the language faster and use it in a more modern, effective way.

"Just as C++ has evolved since the last edition, so has the authors' approach to teaching it. They now introduce the C++ standard library from the beginning, giving readers the means to write useful programs without first having to master every language detail. Highlighting today's best practices, they show how to write programs that are safe, can be built quickly, and yet offer outstanding performance. Examples that take advantage of the library, and explain the features of C++, also show how to make the best use of the language. As in its previous editions, the book's authoritative discussion of fundamental C++ concepts and techniques makes it a valuable resource even for more experienced programmers."
Seeing it in the bookstore the other day I would now say this book is the way to go if you haven't learned c++ or are having a hardtime!
p.s. They even admit that the syntax for pointer to functions is ugly and difficult to write correctly
Also the fact that there is an entire book called "C++ faq" which I also own should tip you off that C++ confounds alot of programmers!

[Edited by - daviangel on May 25, 2005 4:22:22 PM]

Quote:

Find some books you like and read them!

I strongly disagree. Looking to software professionals for advice on books is a good idea. There is no way for a novice to recommend a book to another novice - neither person is credible to know what you need to know to become a professional. Seek books that real programmers recommend, and stay away from books that they tell you not to read - that is, if they can tell you why; most books that are recommended against are done so because of outdated teaching styles, erroneous lessons, or because the author(s) themselves are obviously not very good programmers (or teachers).

Picking up a book on C++ and saying "oh, I like this one" is not a good way to find a credible, reliable, and authoritative resource for learning C++ or programming. Ask those that actually know which resources are authoritative and good.

Well, if you can't get C++, go with C. My first language ever. Found it completly awesome and easy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!