me da new, new da me, me da newbie, whatever

Started by
12 comments, last by violetann 18 years, 10 months ago
well, so whats up? Well, no, lets ask whats down? Me ofcourse... Okay, enough with the tricks, I am in trouble, knee deep, and the thing is I am an aspiring game programmer. I want a career out of it. But the panga here is that: 1. I am a middle-class Indian (not enough finaces for education). 2. I studied the TC3.0 compiler all my life and found out that it was no good after all. 3. whatever. The thing is that I wanna get a head-start into the Gamedev Industry and I dont know where to start. On top of that, I know nothing greater than TC. Can anyone here suggest me something?
------------------------------------------------------------DONT THINK YOU ARE...KNOW YOU ARE.
Advertisement
A recommended starting point for your career. Good luck,

Niko Suni

i hope you or no one else, takes offense if i seem somewhat 'short' im just giving an oppinion (although not always a good one :) )

1. education costs nothing - you can goto a library or even spend an hour a day at your bookstore, reading about programming for nothing.
2. if you went to any semi-decent middle class school, you could get the info you needed via the school/college libraries.
3. turbo C/C++ for DOS is NOT crap - its in fact the very program and environment in which i learnt both C and C++ and many principles behind large scale programs.
4. becoming a progammer IMHO is not about where you came from or about how much money you have, but rather its about your passion for programming and your passion for learning. never aim to be the best programmer, just aim to be better than you are right now. then aim to be better than that and so forth.
5. everyone here is going to answer you questions differently. my advice is that you find your own way into the gamedev world.

finally if you have a PC of your own and would like some books to get you started on more current programming languages and technologies... PM me and i shall see what i can do. no promises, but no cost to you :)

good luck in your quest and please give me a job when you make it big ;)

j
Quote:Original post by jjcosgrove
i hope you or no one else, takes offense if i seem somewhat 'short' im just giving an oppinion (although not always a good one :) )

1. education costs nothing - you can goto a library or even spend an hour a day at your bookstore, reading about programming for nothing.
2. if you went to any semi-decent middle class school, you could get the info you needed via the school/college libraries.
3. turbo C/C++ for DOS is NOT crap - its in fact the very program and environment in which i learnt both C and C++ and many principles behind large scale programs.
4. becoming a progammer IMHO is not about where you came from or about how much money you have, but rather its about your passion for programming and your passion for learning. never aim to be the best programmer, just aim to be better than you are right now. then aim to be better than that and so forth.
5. everyone here is going to answer you questions differently. my advice is that you find your own way into the gamedev world.

finally if you have a PC of your own and would like some books to get you started on more current programming languages and technologies... PM me and i shall see what i can do. no promises, but no cost to you :)

good luck in your quest and please give me a job when you make it big ;)

j

Perhaps you should study a little about India. I'm not sure what class he's in, but the situation there might not be as bright as you think so.
But it may not be as dark as I think. So... Anyway, he brought that as reason so we should trust him.
tell us more about your background and what facilities you have available to you, ray :)

also have you thought about sponsership?
I started on turbo C. Ah those were the good days. And hey you got internet man, Its your fault you havent learned anything with it. Just read A LOT.
It's understanding the language and the design process that matters, not knowing a specific compiler. If you really learned anything from TC3.0 then it should take you next to no time to pick up a more modern compiler. I recommend getting yourself DevC++. It is totally free and pretty good (though not as good as VisualStudio, of course). I don't know exactly what resources a middle-class Indian has, but since you have internet access, access to a computer, and a good handle on English, you already have everything you need. If you have some money to put towards the project, buy yourself some programming books (in the US they are about $50 each). You don't need to go to an expensive university to learn programming.
Quote:Original post by ray1claw
well, so whats up? Well, no, lets ask whats down? Me ofcourse...

Okay, enough with the tricks, I am in trouble, knee deep, and the thing is I am an aspiring game programmer. I want a career out of it. But the panga here is that:
1. I am a middle-class Indian (not enough finaces for education).
2. I studied the TC3.0 compiler all my life and found out that it was no good after all.
3. whatever.

The thing is that I wanna get a head-start into the Gamedev Industry and I dont know where to start. On top of that, I know nothing greater than TC. Can anyone here suggest me something?

Where in India are you? If you are in a city like Hyderabad, Bangalore, or Chennai, it shouldn't be hard to get hold of some programmers to help you. If you can't, then you should at least be able to find some books.

I'm assuming that you have easy access to the Internet - be it via cyber cafes or home computer or whatever. If you do, then chad_420 is correct - it's your fault that you haven't learned anything with it. All you need is perseverance and determination, and you're all set!

If you're on a tight budget, I would recommend taking a look at some of the GNU tools. They are free. If you are in one of the programming headquarters of India (like the abovementioned cities) then it shouldn't be hard at all for you to access a computer.
Well, everybody made their comments and here's what I have to say:
1) My condition is not really dark... I have a computer and I have an almost daily access to the internet.
2) Speaking of learning from the internet, whenever you go to a gamedev site for tutorials, all you get is directx and opengl ones and not something on the basic stuff like what is a namespace?
3) Speaking of books, my mother is a liberarian and I can get any book anytime, but which ones the better one? I got a couple of them, each trying to convince me not read the other one but none of them worked really for me.
4) I have all the required softwares like VC6.0 compiler and all but maybe I've too much familiar with the TC DOS blue screen rather than the VC white windows screen which even makes me vomit!
5) You can just say I have all the resources to learn on my own but not the direction and the time as I have aleady joined some college and am doing softwares like 3DS MAX and Alias Maya there to get into Game Design too.
5) I live in Delhi and I dont know any other programmer around.
------------------------------------------------------------DONT THINK YOU ARE...KNOW YOU ARE.
Quote:Original post by ray1claw
2) Speaking of learning from the internet, whenever you go to a gamedev site for tutorials, all you get is directx and opengl ones and not something on the basic stuff like what is a namespace?

There's a list of a few decent tutorials on the basics of various languages in the For Beginners Forum Faq. Learn the language, then learn techniques specific to games. Game programming sites generally wont cover basics because they don't need to.

Quote:
4) I have all the required softwares like VC6.0 compiler and all but maybe I've too much familiar with the TC DOS blue screen rather than the VC white windows screen which even makes me vomit!

That's actually the IDE you're talking about with the colours there; You can change those colours, the option is under Tools>Options>Format. I've got mine set to a nice dark background with fairly melow colours personally.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement