• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
peter86

Map design: roads

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, I'm trying to make a map like those in Interstate '76 and '82 (ie. a desert with some roads), but the problem is that the roads either get completely flat or too rough since I don't have any suitable editor for constructing them. I'd like the roads to be smooth, sloping and textured correctly. Now what editor should I use, or if I should make one myself, I'd like some ideas on how to do so. Also, when I'm done with that, how do I handle curves when texturing? Thanks in advice, Peter

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster

Hello,

I don't know if it could help you, I have made a map editor in my Game Edit freeware software, take a look...

The software is "Game Edit", and everyone may download it at "www.dilonardo.com"

Sergio

Quote:
Original post by peter86
I'd like the roads to be smooth, sloping and textured correctly.
Now what editor should I use, or if I should make one myself, I'd like some ideas on how to do so. Also, when I'm done with that, how do I handle curves when texturing?

It depends on how you are planning to use the roads in the game. Are they just 3D models made in something like Blender? Or are you using some sort of custom file format to store just basic information about the road and then generating the actual scene on the fly?

Quote:
using some sort of custom file format to store just basic information about the road and then generating the actual scene on the fly?

If you don't, then isn't it easier to store the roads in verctor form (sorta 2D/3D splines) with some 1D array to store roads settings, create a road segment for each road style (eg Concrete, Dirt, Damaged, etc) in your 3D editor, and then generate it on the fly?
If you store the segments in semi-vector form (eg storing only the coords of the objects) they should be quite easy to conform to splines.

Another idea: played Lego? I mean, they had the road plates - with a little modification this could be used in a 3D engine - just it will add some limitations to it. One big problem: lots of games have visibly repetitive race tracks using this technique - this is ugly!

DON'T store your map a a single 3D mesh!!! The physics in this case will get too complex - better use the cPu time for something more important!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!