• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EliT

recommended books

This topic is 4750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm going to be studying abroad for a month and a half, and travelling for a month and a half, so I'm looking for some books to read so I can keep up on things. I'd rate myself as an intermediate game programmer; i've written a couple little student games, so I don't particularly need anything about getting started. What I'm particularly interested in is general optimizations, and graphics and AI programming. What's everyone's favorite books in these subjects? Also, if at all possible, I'd like to travel lightly, so no tomes - unless they're really worth it! Thanks! Eli

Advertisement
I'd recommend Game Programming Gems 4 and 5 (and 3 if you can fit it in your bag). They have a good mix of nitty gritty details on graphics, math, physics, audio, etc.

I have been enjoying the GPU Gems 1 /2 books over the last week and would highly recommend them for graphics development.

The "Gems" and "Wisdom" series are great (including "Game Programming Gems 1-5", "AI Game Programming Wisdom 1-2" and "GPU Gems 1-2"). If you are looking for a good book on 3d engine design, I would recommend 3D Game Engine Architecture. I just picked it up and really like it.

But Game Programming Gems, any book, will give you plenty to sink your teeth into. Plus, it is an eclectic collection, so you won't get board with just one subject to read about.

Oh I second Eberly's book Game Engine Architecture as well I forgot about that! It is probably one of my favorite books on my shelf along with his Game Engine Design and the other books I mentioned. Really anything by Eberly along with what was suggested above, the "Gems" and "Wisdom" series are really good.

and I second aaroncox1234's suggestion.

Mat's books are easy to read even if you're not an AI guru.

The book is quite small too and has a softcover, since you're planning for a trip it might be important to you...

If you are interested in creating a 'engine mechanics' base, I would strongly reccommend "Mathematics for 3D Game Programming & Computer Graphics" by Eric Lengyel. BADASS. It is very focused on theory and is quite straightforward, but it will surely teach you a strong foundation to build on in the future. I would reccommend to anybody interested in fundamental engine programming. (It's just as important as a datastructure book, but for 3dmath and such)

cheers,

marty

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!