• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
PinFX

Mistresses - An MMOG Idea...

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I was reading Raph Koster's book "A Theory of Fun for Game Design", and upon encountering the chapter including gender differences I was struck by an amazing idea. Now, the basic premise of the page I was reading is thus: On average, men tend to have more systematic minds, while women have more empathic minds. That is, guys prefer games involving exuding power, twitch skills, etc., while the girls prefer more interpersonal, subtle games. The added thought in parenthesis was "like in multiplayer games". So at this point it hit me like a hammer: There should be an MMOG where armies of guy players battle it out in fierce combat for the drama-motivated purposes of their sultry mistresses. I mean, COME ON, it's GENIUS!!! OK... hold on... hear me out, this is why it could work: 1. The suitable ratio between guys and girls (extremely high to extremely low) is basically already there. 2. Girls rock at MMORPGs. In fact, the best guild leaders I've played with are all female! 3. Girls like controlling guys. 4. Nerdy guys like being controlled by girls. Features could include: 1. An avatar system for all players set in your classic 2D mmorpg world. 2. Adventure-style combat/items system for the guys... cute hats and stuff for the girls. 3. Army rosters for each mistress, freakin territorial maps. 4. Full scale battles between man-armies. 5. 1on1 or special duel set-ups between man-champions. Alright, who is with me? Mistresses, WAVE OF THE FUTURE!

Advertisement
Personally, I think this is a scary snap shot of your obviously deep seeded desire to be dominated...

Otherwise, pretty funny (I hope its a joke...)

It's sexist as hell I love your idea!

And yes, we can't pretend gender doesn't matter anymore, and game designers need to create appropriate gender roles.

I'd love to see your idea develop into an actual game. If not ready yet for mainstream, you can still create a very compeling niche.

I'm current developing a city building MOG (not necessarily massive. Demo will be ready in two weeks). No combat in the first version unfortunately. But I'd love to hear any ideas on what gender-specific roles I might create.

Quote:
Original post by GroZZleR
Neat idea, but how do you stop a male from creating a female character?

Don't ask, don't tell?

Quote:
Original post by goldenpanda
Quote:
Original post by GroZZleR
Neat idea, but how do you stop a male from creating a female character?

Don't ask, don't tell?

I'd wager most people who play female characters are male. I know I do. I don't want to be staring at some ugly guys ass for the next 60 hours of my gameplay experience with the title.

Quote:

I'd wager most people who play female characters are male. I know I do. I don't want to be staring at some ugly guys ass for the next 60 hours of my gameplay experience with the title.

Another factor that is mentioned in the Daedulus project (http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/ - Its a whole site based of the mmorpg culture) Is the effects of different treatment. Guys play as girls who want to reach higher levels by swaying male avatars to give them goods.

A more shocking example is the sims online where playing as a different gender can have very awkward consquences (Aka a guy makes a female avator, and marries another guy who thinks the player is a girl.)

Quote:
Original post by PinFX
3. Girls like controlling guys.

More like "People like controlling people"...

Sound like the "Soap Opera" game. You could probably target the female market and do decent dollars. You'd get a lot of flack from sexist haters, but who's not selling out these days for a buck? Some novelists don't, but that's about all I can think of.

Adventuredesign

I think the chicks will get pretty offended at being stereotyped like that. Personally I think it's a really cool idea, and that the whole issue of sexism becomes moot in a situation where the player can pick their gender. (In the real world, sexism = bad because you're stuck with your gender. But if a girl doesn't like her role in the game Mistresses, she can just play a guy!)

Unfortunately, I don't think the chicks out there see things as logically, and I think a lot of them will have a knee-jerk reaction to the idea of being subjugated for entertainment.

[Edited by - pinacolada on May 24, 2005 1:36:10 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!