Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deadimp

DirectMusic is not Working, yet I can't ReInstall it... (Dev C++)

This topic is 4749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

For some reason, on my computer DirectMusic will not work when I try compiling it into my application. On the computers at my school, it works perfectly fine, and, for that matter, it actually works. I know it is not a problem with my code, but it may lie within either the *.lib file[s] I compiled (I used a different DevPak on the school computer than on my own), or it may lie within the DLLs in [WINDOWS]\SYSTEM32\. However, I don't know how to properly secure all of the DirectMusic components because whenever I try to install with the DirectX 9c Redist installer, it loads the *.cab files into the temporary folders, and when I run "dxsetup.exe", it tells me that the components are installed and ready to use (after a VERY short pause). Should I uninstall DirectX and then reinstall this one, or do something fancy? Should I try using the same DevPak as I do at school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
You shouldn't be using any libraries for DirectMusic. Every version of the DX SDK I have ever seen have not had any static libs for DMusic (up until the October update last year, which is the last I have installed). DirectMusic has to be loaded via COM. See this article. Note that you can use the same technique to load all DirectX components, thereby eliminating the dependency upon any library files whatsoever (D3DX and the error string utility library excluded).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, for some reason the exact same code works on a different computer with the same compiler, and I am not sure as to why this is.
School Computer: Windows XP Proffessional Edition, Dev-C++ 4.9.9.1, DirectX 9.0c DevPak (not sure, but it is different from mine)
My Computer: Windows XP Home Edition, Dev-C++ 4.9.9.1, DirectX 9.0 DevPak
As for the static libraries, I'm not sure why they are there... Actually, it isn't exactly DirectMusic that has the library, but instead DirectSound (oye, now I'm confused). It's name: "libdsound.a". I doubt this is the actual meat for DirectSound, for it is only 10KB big, when "dsound.dll" on my computer is 395KB. (Sorry if I'm not exactly typing antying correctly, I haven't been doing so good on the keyboard lately).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!