• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MFC Alternative

This topic is 4745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I was wondering, is there something outthere, that is an alternetive for MFC? I am aware of WINAPI but I came to the point, where I don't want to start my new applications from scratch, with all that INIT INSTANCEs, and REGISTER CLASS and so on. In case I would wrap it to classes, I would reinvent the whell, since there is MFC that does just that. There is also wxWidgets which I don't like too much, because it doesn't compile flawlesly with Visual C++ 6 (sp6). Another thing that bothers me with MFC is, that the controls are the same as they were in 1995. Even in Visual Studio 2003, there is not .PNG support for C++ Toolbars, no Alpha blending no nothing. Even the control that the IDE uses or in OutLookXP/2003 or in Word 2003 (those fancy menus and so on) - are not accessible via MFC. I could copy the styles and write my own DRAW FUNCTIONS but why? If they are able to use it, why don't they give it public? Or is it that I am just not able to find it? Is it possible to create souch an interface with MFC? http://www.ogre3d.org/index.php?set_albumName=album08&id=ed2&option=com_gallery&Itemid=55&include=view_photo.php

Advertisement
I'm quite probably wrong, but maybe your MFC version that you develop with is not a recent one? It does change over time, with new functionality. I think the latest (for .NET) is V7.x?

I am aware of MFC7 (or whichever version is included with VS2003.NET).

But there you also CAN NOT include 32 BIT PNG Files with shadows on the buttons like Explorer or Firefox have. Or am i wrong? Is it possible to use Property Grid with MFC in C++ (WINAPI/MFC not .NET?). I do not want to write my own components.

There are some excellent component library , look at codeproject , they are profuis and bcg toolbar , but unfortunately not all of them are free to use
and some are very expensive, i understand what you mean i have your very same problem with interfaces

The application you are refering to is abolutely doable with MFC, but it is a lot(!) of work to do it.

For example the properties control you would have to program yourself or find resources in the web.

An alternative library would be the WTL (Windows Template Library). It is related to MFC but more light weight, but also less complete documented.

But if I had to do a application like this I would do it with C#!
It is much easier to get a user interface working and programming the is much more straight forward than in MFC/WTL/Win32 API. So you have more time to concentrate on the content/purpose of the application.

Constantin

Quote:
Original post by Samurai Jack
There is also wxWidgets which I don't like too much, because it doesn't compile flawlesly with Visual C++ 6 (sp6).

Have you thought of getting a new compiler? There are a number of very good free ones.

Maybe you do just ahve to code your own controls with their own OnPaint etc. We;ve got a few custom controls - the basic MFC is pretty sparse.

I read about MS Visual Studio IDE that it uses MFC and also Discreets 3DS MAX. Both interfaces look amazing good.

I was wondering why doesn't Micro$oft copy something like the Borland C++ Builder or Delphi or just as it was in the good old days with Visual Basic 6? Borland C++ Builder alows you MFC or their based applications. The development time spent in C++ builder is nothing compared to MFC. Perhaps there is an external MFC building application that can be exported to M$ C++.

The problem is, that I want to use my unmanaged C++ Direct3D code, which works fine with an user friendly environment. I don't want to spend more time on the user interface that i did for the program core. That stops my development process imense.

I have the same problem i was trying to do something like the effectedit (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/directx/directxsdk/Tools/Content/EffectEdit.asp) that cames with the directx sdk but i have not find a suitable anwser for that problem. I'm discussing that topic in a begginers thread here : http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=321267

This tool (EffectEdit) is made in MFC...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!