• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rain711

Age of Empires "Rise of Rome"

This topic is 4792 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now I know that this game AOE ROR is an old strategy game: Any body knows in what language this game was created and is visual basic involve in it. Now I found some intersting .SLP files in the game any body knows how it was created? Regards

Advertisement
Is was written in C or C++ (cannot quite remember) and Assembly, so no, VB wasn't involved.
VB was, at that time, also quite slow compared to C or C++ if you need all the speed you can get (which they needed at that time), and since the AoE engine was also highly optimzed in Assembly because C/C++ couldn't provide enough raw power, just like the engine for AoE II, VB was out of the question for those games.
The SLP files are graphics files with a normal colors image, a player colors/transparent mask image and a selected mask image plus an anchor point. You can open them with AOK Mod Pack Studio (well, at least that works with AoE II, but I'm pretty sure that I've read that it also works with AoE).

[Edited by - nife on May 24, 2005 3:54:22 PM]

Hi nife

Thanks you seem very well aware of this game.
few things I like to know about this game because I'am addected to it
1- please send me the link for "AOK Mod Pack Studio "
2- If you said that it was witen in C or C++ that is fine ... You know that during the game, When you run the game and play.You can hit [ENTER]. Then a dialog box pop ups (Chat box) to enter some chat. I would like to know HOW can I find this dialog box within the Empires.EXE? what tools I need to search for it?
I appreciate your responce.

Quote:
Original post by rain711
Hi nife

2- If you said that it was witen in C or C++ that is fine ... You know that during the game, When you run the game and play.You can hit [ENTER]. Then a dialog box pop ups (Chat box) to enter some chat. I would like to know HOW can I find this dialog box within the Empires.EXE? what tools I need to search for it?

1: [google]

2: You can't. Or you need to be very experienced with the use of disassemblers. I don't know how the box looks like, but there is a big chance it's a custom written dialog. If you want to re-create such a thing, you do it from scratch.

Also, there are some laws on the reverse engineering of applications. Big chance it's illegal to reverse engineer that thing.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Quote:
Original post by rain711
Hi nife

1: [google]

2: You can't. Or you need to be very experienced with the use of disassemblers. I don't know how the box looks like, but there is a big chance it's a custom written dialog. If you want to re-create such a thing, you do it from scratch.

Also, there are some laws on the reverse engineering of applications. Big chance it's illegal to reverse engineer that thing.

Toolmaker

Well can you tell me how this chat dialog box can be called in the game?

Quote:

Quote:
You can hit [ENTER]. Then a dialog box pop ups

[looksaround]
It might help if you said what you were actually trying to do . . . ? Are you trying to change the dialog box or use it for some other nefarious purpose or ?

Quote:
Original post by Squirm
Quote:

Quote:
You can hit [ENTER]. Then a dialog box pop ups

[looksaround]
It might help if you said what you were actually trying to do . . . ? Are you trying to change the dialog box or use it for some other nefarious purpose or ?

What I'am trying to do is change the location of the dialog box on the screen
It is now appeared in the middle of the screen. and I want it to appear in the bottom of screen or top.

There a program called Resource Hacker that might help you disassemble some stuff, but I'm pretty sure that it won't help you get the code for the dialog box...

Quote:
Original post by Ali_B
There a program called Resource Hacker that might help you disassemble some stuff, but I'm pretty sure that it won't help you get the code for the dialog box...

Resource Hacker let you view dialog boxes and icon stuff is not suitable for my purpose because my dialog box is embeded in the exe file.

Well, fire up SoftICE (or another debugger) and trace your way to the code which draws the box. That's the hard part. After that you simply hex edit your changes to the original exe.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!