Sign in to follow this  
BlueHabu

Which 3D Drawing Studio To Use

I am writing a OpenGL based, cross platform, low budget (as in free), 3D engine and have discovered that it is a huge waste of time to write my own meshes in code everytime I want to try something out. I know from practice that usable 3d engines "talk" with some type of 3D studio app. We use 3DMax at work. That being said I dont have the cash to spend on a 3DMax nor Maya (nor do i want to). I am kinda a open source nut job and i have found Blender. The only problem is blender is written in phython. I would not know python code if it slapped in the face therefore adding a plugin for it would be difficult. Blender looks amazing but i just wanted to know if there are any good free 3D programs out there other than blender that I can use. If so can someone tell me why you like one over the other -- that would be great. By the way im just a C++ programmer. I have never made one piece of 3D "art" outside of C++. Something with good docs would be nice Thanks Sorry -- longer post than i thought it would be

If your used to 3dsmax you could get gmax, which is a free version of max (obviously with some features cut out)

It allows some MaxScript stuff, although I think the file i/o might be limited. Check it out.

Blender is not written in Python - it just provides a mechanism for writing plugins using Python. Personally, I'd suggest you stick with it - it's (probably) the most powerful free/open source 3D modelling app out there, and although the user interface may not be similar to others available, it's very efficient when you get used to it (at least, I find it to be so).

If you're desperate to get away from Blender, then Wings 3D might be a good choice, or you could go with one of the (not free, but quite cheap shareware) 3D modelling programs that are designed more for producing low poly game artwork - Milkshape 3D and AC3D.

My recommendation is still Blender, but try those others out and see what you think.

John B

I'd also say stick with Blender. Python isn't exactly a hugely complex language and it should only take you a few hours to learn enough to write an exporter for Blender (I myself wrote a simple exporter in about an hour with minimal Python knowledge and no knowledge of writing Blender plugins).

You could get by with just Blender because it's all around a good tool. Wings3D is more specialized in doing one task very well, better than blender I think. Mostly high level modelling, not vertex level which Blender is better at. Wings3D uses erlang scripting lang. so it's that or python :) Python seems to be well documented and used, not sure about erlang. Also, you can control blender objects from within blender using python scripts, which is fun.