Very New Newbie

Started by
8 comments, last by tehMatthewJ 18 years, 10 months ago
I've been reading/doing tutorials lately. I've been coding for a little while, and just recently wanted to start doing some OpenGL work. This question comes from an OpenGL tutorial, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a specific OpenGL topic. In the very first NeHe tutorial (I'm sure at least some of you are familiar with it), I am instructed to include a file called "windows.h". I've done search after search and so far, all I can find is two things. The first, a lot of articles telling me just how important this file is. Second, some code. I copy/pasted the code in, but then it just tells me an include in that file can't be found, and so on. So, I'm tired of searching and reading. Can someone just please help me out. A link? Anything. I'm frustrated with how much work I did on that tutorial only to be foiled in line two. Thanks. Cheers. Matthew
Advertisement
what compiler are you using?
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition Beta
How are you writing it?

#include <windows.h>

or

#include "windows.h"

If you are using the latter then it is trying to find the include in the local project directory. If you are using the former it should be looking in the main includes folder for your compiler.
You must use:

#include <windows.h>

It really should be there...

If nothing, heres a link to the header file I uploaded from my version of MSVC++ (I don't think doing this infringing on copyright. If so, PM me)
Windows.h
If you are using express beta 2005 I think you may need to get this It should contain all the stuff you need for creating win32 apps
hmm, actually yea, That might make sense.

Yea, listen to moagstar[smile]
I tried downloading those .exes. The last one (PSDK-x86.exe) works, but the other two say they are not a valid win32 file when I DL them and double-click. Any suggestions on that? Thanks for the help guys.

edit: I also tried copy/pasting the windows.h source that was linked above, but when I compile that, it tells me that windef.h doesn't exist. So, if I keep going like this, will it just keep telling me I need more .h files? Shouldn't these files just come with my computer? Anyway, thanks for all the help guys.
I got windows.h, added the directory where it is, but now I'm getting 24 unresolved external symbols. the .cpp compiles fine, but I can't build the whole project. I think I'll also post in the NeHe forum, since I copied the code directly from his site and it doesn't seem to work. Cheers.

Matthew
Unresolved symbols usually mean you forgot to include a library... have you included opengl32.lib and glu32.lib? If not you should do that in your project options. Not sure in which field though... haven't used visualc++ in a while...
"OpenGL32.lib"
"GLu32.lib"
"GLaux.lib"

those are the three things i was told (by the tut) to add in. i also added the library directory where it can find those things. the parts that it is saying are unresolved are function inside of source. i'm really confused. thanks for the help.

matthew

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement